We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do…

We're travelling July 9...searches come up with solution for the next day....:(

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,195 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

The trains from Ancona are either regionals or intercity trains, so you need to look one week in advance - the schedules are not loaded into the system for July. There are plenty of trains on Wednesdays. The trains without change take between three and a half to four hours.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

Have you set your departure time?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

If you do not set the 'hour' (departure time) e.g. to '5' for 05.00 to see all trains, your train times start at the clock time on your own computer.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

Thanks to everyone for your swift replies! My departure date is July 9, which cannot be changed as accommodations are booked. I now see the regional trains in a search within a week, elstravels. I hadn't set my travel time, Tabata_1973 as it defaulted to midnight. I had no idea that the default was my clock, perilizia! You learn something new everyday!

I was hoping to take the FRECCIABIANCA at 7:54 but it, along with 4 other trains are marked with an asterisk indicating travel for next day. HOWEVER, there are 5 regional trains, YAY!!!!- one in the morning for which I would like to buy a ticket. Now when I do a search which includes all solutions (I may have forgotten that), it does include an intercity for 3:40 that day (which is a little late)...

It's funny, I've done another search and now there is no asterisk for the days. If I bought a ticket, would they honour it with the next train, if indeed that particular train didn't run that day?

I have a second question related to my departure. I was hoping to rent a vehicle and drop off at ANCONA airport. I'm hoping to have someone check over the car so I won't incur any extra charges...There are some companies in Canada who'll charge you for scratches (that were already there!). Is this a problem in Italy or would it be fine to just drop the keys off prior to them opening? It'll be a Wednesday; They open at 8:30 and I was hoping to take the 8:00 high speed train or failing that, the intercity one at 9:00.

Thanks for a response to either question.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

For regional trains, just buy at the station. There's no advantage to buying in advance. Just remember to validate regional train tickets (ones you buy at the station) before boarding the train. They're valid for 6 hours after validation.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,195 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

There's no benefit to purchasing a regional train ticket in advance, just do it when there.

For car rentals, if you'll be keeping the car for three or more days be sure to check the consolidators www.autoeurope.com and www.kemwel.com. You can often get much better prices from them.

As for documentation, use your camera to document the car. Photograph the agent as he/she shows you the car. Have them point out any issues and take a picture of them doing so.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

The 7.54 train is not from Ancona. it is from Falconara Marittima, with a connection from Ancona by bus leaving at 7.34. Though Falconara Marittima is actually much nearer Ancona Airport than Ancona, if you are taking a taxi to the train station. And all other trains from Ancona to Rome will also call at Falconara Marittima, which could be a better departure station for you.

And I see no 09.00 Intercity on your date - I see direct Intercity trains only at 06.25 and 15.30.

As a cautious person, I would never willingly return a rental car in any country to an unstaffed location with a drop-box. But if you are unwilling you do this, you will certainly arrive in Rome very much later, as I do not think you will make the 8.55 Regional train from Falconara Marittima, assuming this is the same time after June 14.

An alternative route would be to drive across the mountains in 2-2.5 hours to Foligno and return your car there. Regional trains from Foligno take under two hours and cost €9.60, and there are rental companies very near the train station.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 16:45
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

perilizia, The more I think of the problems of dropping off the car at an unstaffed location (or the related problem of pushing my arrival time to Rome), the more I think I will just use taxis and trains to get where I want to go. Falconara Marittima is the station of departure for me, you're right. For other days, my closest station is Senigallia from which I will go to Genga to see the caves, instead of driving! We are staying in Monterado.

Thanks everyone for helping me piece together this section of my trip. Although I know driving would be easier in some ways, the specifics are kind of daunting so I will train, bus and taxi this section as well.

9. Re: Does the train from Ancona to Rome not run on Wednesday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Ancona
Recent Conversations