We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update info Ancona Airport & transport to central Train St

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Update info Ancona Airport & transport to central Train St

I'm aware there isn't that much information available on here about arriving at Ancona then getting to the central train station in Ancona, so thought I'd add my experience as best I can remember it:

We arrived in Ancona after around 2ish hours delay (Ryan Air from Stanstead). By then it was lunchtime and obviously very hot. We went next door to the departures building (which seemed to take forever with our cases because it was so hot, but in reality it didn't take that long - we were just tired, hot, hungry). I'd read on here to go to departures to buy tickets for the bus, which according to my internet research was the no. 38 bus that went to Ancona Centrale stazione. However, the place to buy the tickert was closed (for lunch) and two ladies in a shop told me it was not possible to purchase any bus tickets until after lunch (I imagine that means a miniumum of 16:00 hrs). They also told me that there was no bus number 38, just a bus to the station (so don't bother asking for numbers, just ask for location). However I was then told there was no bus for many hours as it was lunchtime. So the only other option (apart from very infrequent trains from tiny station opposite) was to get a taxi to Ancona Central station. I can't remember how much he charged me but I do remember being shocked at the amount - and then I realised - I was a captive to the cost because I had no other choice. I think I paid around Euro 25.00-35.00 ish amount. The taxi driver then told me on our journey that our plane was late and now it was taking off late. They must rub their hands with glee when a plane is delayed. However, they've got to make a living and in many people's eyes the amount we were charged isn't a lot of money, but to others (i.e. myself on a budget) it was quite a lot just to travel to the main train station. Now I've typed that it doesn't seem a lot of money at all - at the time I guess I was expecting to just pay a small amount for a bus.

Clearance through the airport to collect bags/go through passport control took about 40 minutes. But we were delayed and may have landed at similar time to another flight.

So I hope this information helps others, in the future.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 14:46
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Update info Ancona Airport & transport to central Train St

See this post tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187795-i1661-k7… for links to the airport bus timetable on the airport website.

For a cheaper taxi ride to a train station, maybe take a taxi to the nearby Falconara Maritimma station, from where it is a €1.25 train ride to Ancona.

Level Contributor
50 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update info Ancona Airport & transport to central Train St

How far is the airport to the central station please? And where there frequent trains?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update info Ancona Airport & transport to central Train St

I'm not sure of the distance but its inland and took around 20 minutes (or possibly 30) to drive from the airport to the mainline station. The main station is Ancona Centrale. Its a main transport hub to get you up and down the coast. There is a tiny station right outside the airport that (according to info on the internet or on tripadvisor) serves mostly school times and peak business hours. Not many trains stop there but some do. If you go into the search box on the forums for Ancona and put in train and airport you should be able to find out more detailed information).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update info Ancona Airport & transport to central Train St

See my response on a different topic. If you're going north (as in to Cattolica), the best station is Falconara, not Ancona.

5. Re: Update info Ancona Airport & transport to central Train St

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2015, 05:15