We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

We are staying overnight at Rome airport in May and then have to go the next day to Urbino.

What is the train system in Italy?

Do we have to book or just go to the main station in Rome and buy tickets on the day?

How regular is the bus service from Pesaro to Urbino?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

Many of the trains from Rome to Pesaro use the slow Regionale trains. There is no point in trying to buy tickets for these trains online. There are no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no advance purchase discounts. Buy the tickets in Rome.

These tickets can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station.

However, some journeys use the faster InterCity or Frecce and for these journeys you will get the best price if you buy soon after tickets go on sale, 4 months before travel. Tickets on these trains are valid only on the booked train, and do not need to be time-stamped.

See www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag to change to English and looking for trains from Roma Termini to Pesaro. If you use a travel date about 4 months out, you will see the discounts on the fast trains, but to see the prices of Regionale trains you must use a date within the next 7 days.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 05:59
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

Any reason why you are ruling out the direct bus?: http://www.adriabus.eu/viewdoc.asp?CO_ID=4299

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

You say you're staying at the Rome airport. Do you mean at the airport Hilton? If so, you can walk from there to the airport train station, and buy a ticket all the way to Pesaro at the agency "Agenzia 365", which is directly across from the official train station, which now sells tickets only as far as Rome. There are two train lines at the airport. One (the Leonardo Express) goes to Rome Termini station, while the other goes to other stations in central Rome. Your ticket to Pesaro may require a change either at Termini or at Tiburtina, depending on which train you get from Rome to Pesaro. Just make sure you know which station your train is leaving from so that you get on the right train at the airport. The train that goes to Tiburtina usually has the final destination of Fara Sabina, but it doesn't matter. All of the trains other than the Leonardo Express stop at Tiburtina, no matter the final destination.

You can see the schedules here:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

You'll also probably have to change trains in Falconara Marittima, although there's still one train a day that goes all the way with no change of train. It leaves from Roma Termini at 5:40 PM and takes a little over 3 hours.

Once you get to Pesaro, you have to take a bus the rest of the way. Here is the winter schedule for the express buses:

adriabus.eu/media/…20V.pdf

There is another option, which is to take a bus from Rome to Urbino. These buses leave from Tiburtina bus station. You can get a train to Tiburtina from the airport, and it's a short walk from the train station to the bus station. On weekdays, buses leave at 7:30 AM and at 4 PM. On Sundays and holidays, there is only one bus, leaving at 6 PM. The trip takes a little over 4 hours, which would be quicker than the train+ bus option, and also avoids the extra change of trains.

Whichever way you go, you should make sure to pack light, as you'll be hauling luggage from train to train to bus, and some of the changes will involve stairs.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

FF slipped in ahead of me, while I was composing my long reply!

I myself would probably take the bus. However, four hours on a bus is not very comfortable, and if you suffer from car sickness, the trip over the mountains might be a problem. I've taken the bus a few times, not the whole way, but from Cagli, when the line from Ancona to Rome was partly closed due to a fire at Tiburtina station.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187797-i3265-k690…

6. Re: train from rome to pesaro and bus to urbino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Urbino