We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in ER?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
242 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in ER?

Hi There,

For our trip in Sept 08, our goal was to SLOW DOWN and not spend less than 3 nights in any one place. We've accomplished that with our plan of 1 week in Tuscany, 3 nights in Cinque Terre and 4 nights in Piedmont. Problem is, I keep thinking about ER and the great food and visits to the Parmigiano and Balsamico factories, and trying to figure out a way to squeeze it in.

So, here's my question. If we divert our route from CT to Piedmont, for just a day and an night in Parma, is it worth it to break our "travel rule" and spend the extra time on the road? What exactly will we see on a Parmigiano factory tour? On a balsamico tour? I have visions of the guide breaking open a wheel of cheese and giving us a taste, but doubt that's really how it works. If that's our focus of this day, will we be disappointed? Are we better off simply planning to return and include a trip to ER so we can give it the time that it deserves?

Sorry for the length to this question and I greatly appreciate any input that you can provide to help me decide what to do!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in ER?

Go with your first thought - slow down and enjoy the trip - you have two wonderful places to visit right now. Save ER for another time (perhaps with Bologna/Eastern Coast). We have visited both Parma and Modena but have not done any factory tours in either (have had some very nice balsamic tastings however). Both places are on our return list to Italy

We have been to both CT and Piedmonte areas and enjoyed them both.

We loved visiting the CT towns; if possible, try to get to Portovenere - well worth a visit

In Piendmonte don't miss the town of Barbaresco - wonderful wine enoteca in an old church and the Menuto place is great. The wine towns are lovely - Alba has a great Saturday Market also

With only 4 nights in Piedmonte, you'll have plenty to enjoy

jhg

Padua, Italy
Destination Expert
for Padua
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in ER?

Slowing down is a great choice, you will surely enjoy more your stay.

I never visited a Parmigiano factory (caseificio) so I cannot give you any advice but I have visited a Balsamic Vinegar farm, this one:

http://www.acetaiapaltrinieri.it/

If you decide to visit them, call (or send an email) and book both the visit and the lunch on the farm yard, you won't regret.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in ER?

My two penny worth is: unless you can at least take a look at Bologna, Modena and Parma it is not really worth your while to spend time traveling to the Emilia Romagna.

Parmigiano is in Parma, traditional vinegar factories are in Modena. But there's much more to the E-R than that...

Best regards,

P_M

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
242 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in ER?

Thanks everyone for your opinions. My gut was telling me that going to ER for just one day wasn't worth it, but I guess I needed confirmation of that.

I know there is more to the region than Parmigiano, and balsamico, which is why just one day didn't feel right. We will go with our original plan for this trip, honoring our goal to slow down. I guess we've already got a good start on our next trip!

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it!

Tammy

5. Re: One Day in ER?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 22:17