We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Ferrara - suggestions please

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in Ferrara - suggestions please

Hello Everyone - we are looking to book a 2 week holiday 8th September in Europe. We don't mind where.

I have checked flights, and can get some good priced ones to Bologna. We have never been to Italy, but always thought we would visit one day.

I have found some good priced accommodation in Ferrara and am wondering if this is a good place to stay.

We (husband and I) always hire a car, we love exploring new places. We like beautiful views, national & natural parks, lakes, pretty towns. Castles, Relaxing also. We like to visit cities for the day, not to stay in them - will want to visit Venice & Florence of course, and Padua & Bologna.

Do you think there are enough other places to visit - is Milan driveable, or would be be better getting the train?

Is the driving easy - we have travelled around Spain, USA, Portugal, Cyprus, Greek Islands etc - I think we will be ok?

Is the weather ok in September usually, the websites I have visited seem to vary from 19-26c?

Any help regarding the area, or recommendations for places to stay in Ferrara or any other suitable area (wifi is a must) would be gratefully received.

Thanks for any help!

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Ferrara - suggestions please

Ferrara is a lovely city. But for a car look at the box on the right about driving in Italy. You are being very ambitious - a bit too ambitious I'd say. Anyway, add Ravenna to your list. It's near Ferrara and a great day out.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Ferrara - suggestions please

Just day trips to Florence and Venice? I could see that for Bologna as it is relatively close but for the other two, I would suggest you stay a minimum of two nights in each.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Ferrara - suggestions please

Hello heqwerty, I rekon you're going to explore one of the best area in Italy.

Really don't think is worth going to Milan and would leave Florence for another time as there are several pretty towns with different histry, culture, artwork and food.

Where to start? Dozza near Imola with its murals, than Faenza for the ceramic museum, Brisighella lying over 3 hills and the famous donkey's street, Ferrara and Ravenna both Unesco heritage sites, Comacchio with its canals and the eel farms, Bologna with its porticos and its life running around the oldest University in Italy, Cervia with the salt pants and the thermal centre.

Outside the region, Padova, Verona and Mantua will be one or two shoots distance.

Last year we stayed at Palazzo Boschi near Faenza and it was easy driving around (look for our review on TA) but if you would try to arrange a cooking course, consider Palazzo Manzoni at San Zaccaria near Ravenna.

The owner is Stefano Bottura, one of the top 100 chefs in the WORLD.

Not sure wether you'll meet him because he looks after two restaurants in the Modena province but the place itself looks charming and is at an intermediate point.

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Ferrara - suggestions please

Hi Heqwerty,

my suggestion is to mix moving by public transport and car. The main cities (Bologna, Ferrara, Ravenna, Parma, Modena, Mantova, Padova, Firenze) are all well connected by train. On the opposite, drive is sometimes a nightmare due the traffic.

And remember that the fuel in Italy is very expansive (about 1.80 €/liter), so use every day a car mean an expansive holiday.

But with a car you can visit all towns and villages difficult to reach by public transport: IMHO the reason why Italy is called the Belpaese.

The other users give you some suggestions. I add:

- the area on the Adriatic coast, so between Cervia and the Po delta. There are several places to visit and even the landscape is amazing. Cervia and the saltworks, Comacchio and the inner lagoon, the Po delta in the Porto Tolle area, Chioggia...

- from Chioggia you can reach Venezia by boat. It could be nice and different that the usual arrive by train.

- the hill area south of Bologna and Modena. Monteveglio, Vignola, Castelvetro are very nice. And if you like drive you can reach the Abetone, Pievepelago, San Pellegrino in Alpe to see different landscapes. And in this area you can find even Maranello and the Ferrari museum.

About weather: usually September is quite warm in Italy, but often rainy. Unfortunately for this year seems will be dry and hot, but is a good news for a tourist.

Bye

Riccardo

5. Re: Two weeks in Ferrara - suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 00:17