We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day roadtrip from Siena to Bologna: Itinerary help!

14 posts
Save Topic
3 day roadtrip from Siena to Bologna: Itinerary help!

Hi there,

We are struggling coming up with a good itinerary for the last part of our trip. We are arriving in Siena mid afternoon (Sept 5) and plan to spend the night there. The next day we'd rent a car and travel the countryside and make our way up to Bologna to take our flight home Sept 9, late afternoon. So we basically have 3.5 days to see the area.

Since there is so much to see we are constantly coming up with a packed itinerary and can't decide between places to see. Any suggestions of top things would be appreciated.

We enjoy food and wine, and especially hiking and want to see/explore some picturesque older, villages as well. Really would like to get a feel for the local culture, nature and have some good food. We also prefer some of the less tourist filled places and happy to go off the beaten track for a great experience. But obviously places like San Gimignano look great, so we wont avoid it just because its touristy. We are tourists after all!

Oh, and also we do not need to spend any time in Siena, Florence of Bologna cities.

Thank you

Amazing Italy - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Factory Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Test Drive in Maranello
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Factory Tours, Day Trips
Motorsport Maranello
Equipment Hire, Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Ravenna, Italy :(
Level Contributor
739 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day roadtrip from Siena to Bologna: Itinerary help!

Seeing you are from BC, what did you mean with "hiking"? ;) Going over 6,000ft would be a good contrast between your mountains and ours (i.e. Monte Cimone) although I won't recommend it considering you are quite short ot available time ;)

I also think you want to avoid similar sceneris/landscapes to those of BC, correct?

Sheboygan, WI
Level Contributor
96 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day roadtrip from Siena to Bologna: Itinerary help!

Are you wanting to spend the nights of the 6,7,8th in the same place, or each night in a new location, gradually making your way closer to Bologna?

We recently based ourselves in Certaldo, before moving on to Bologna. From Certaldo we were able to visit Siena, Monteriggioni, Colle di Val d'Elsa, Volterra, San Gimignano and hill towns south of Siena (Montepulciano, etc).

We found Certaldo Alto and Colle di Val d'Elsa to be the least touristy of the hill towns we visited. I really enjoyed Volterra as well.

Unfortunately we never made it to Lucca, or anywhere north of Certaldo (not counting Bologna and Florence), so I can't speak for that area, which is where I imagine you'd find areas to do some hiking as it is more mountainous.

Here is my trip report if you'd like to read:

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day roadtrip from Siena to Bologna: Itinerary help!

You'll have enough time to "enlarge " your itinerary to visit the Montefeltro. Particularly staying within the Simone and Simonello Park, hike to Monte Nerone and strolling around Piobbico where early in September the "Club of the Ugly" makes this town very alive.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: 3 day roadtrip from Siena to Bologna: Itinerary help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17