We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
179 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

I am travelling to Bologna mid October. Unfortunately the hotels Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are extremely expensive. Looking for suggestions on where to stay in the region. Travel will be by public transport.

I do not know this area at all so would appreciate all advice

Hamish

Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

hi Hamish

Hotels in bologna are not so expensive.

In October you should avoid the following days:

1 / 2 / 3 / 12 /13 / 14 / 27 / 28 / 29 / 30

Other dates are avalable and cheaper

See for instance

www.bolognaincoming.it

www.bolognavola.it

www.hotelelite.it

Regards

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
179 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Hi Thanks for that - guess what - I am in Bologna 13,14,15,16!!!!! That is why I was asking about other areas. Hotels are extortionate on 13, 14. What is going on on these dates?

Hamish

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Have you looked into a bed and breakfast? I found much more affordable accommodation for Bologna and Ravenna using the bed and breakfast website

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com/

Travel via public transport in and out of Bologna is a breeze to Ravenna, Modena, Faenza, Ferrara...

Good luck.

Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Hi Hamish01, Stirling,

Between Reggio Emilia and Ravenna I choose Ravenna, for art, history, museums and so on.

Regards

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
179 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Hi

Thanks for your help - have requested info from b&b site. Some replys are in - 150euros a night for a few of them! Guess I picked the wrong time to visit!

Hamish

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

I agree with Castelmajor that you should stay in Ravenna if you can not find something in Bologna for your dates. Ravenna is a pleasant, beautiful city with amazing history. You can get to Bologna via a nice train ride in a little over an hour if my memory serves me correct.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Hi

We returned from Bologna a few weeks ago and used the train from Bologna to visit Ravenna and Parma. I don't known how to say thisn(you could read my report) but I wouldn't bother with either ofnthe above. ologna might be busy and noisy but it's vibrant compared to these other places which apart from the centre is absolutely uninspiring and rather tacky. Rather travel to Ferrara or even have a day to Venice which is stunning. Don't waste a day in Ravenna or Parma. It was hard to find a decent restaurant in Parma and I don't care iwhat they say about the cheese, you literally can't make a meal of it! Ravenna did have a couple of good restaurants in the piazza and it was historic as most places in Italy are but we were so glad when the train once again pulled into Bologna.

Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Should've gone to Ferrara! (I'm biased...)

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
179 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Hi

Thanks for your response. I have booked accommodation in Ravenna! Hopefully it won't be too bad

Hamish

Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reggio Emilia or Ravenna or where?

Ravenna is a good base for visiting the less busy places, but be sure to check out the mosaics in Ravenna when you're there. Maybe even take a train to Rimini which is not only a (tacky) seaside resort, it also has a number of Roman monuments to see. Go North for Comacchio, an interesting town built on canals and reclaimed land.

Get answers to your questions about Bologna