We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to bologna with small children

Safi, Malta
10 posts
Save Topic
travelling to bologna with small children

I am thinking in going to Bologna with my husband and two small children a 5 year old and 2 year old....any suggestions if bologna is good for kids and what to do in Bologna with small children.......btw we are planning a 3 day trip

NY
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

This is scant information, but there is a fairly large park used by walkers and joggers in the proximity of the train station that as I recall has some playground equipment. This might be useful during the daytime hours, had the impression to avoid after dark.

Safi, Malta
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

Thanks, do you know what's the area called pls?

NY
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

You can see the Parco della Montagnola in this Google map, and move around on the map to see other places (Neptune Statue is essentially in the main piazza)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bologna,+Italy&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.352165,56.162109&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bologna,+Emilia-Romagna,+Italy&ll=44.503025,11.346109&spn=0.007331,0.013711&t=m&z=16

If the above does not work, just put Bologna in Google maps or other map site

Edited: 20 November 2011, 12:11
UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

This city guide, while not covering childern's activities specifically, is a good overview of Bologna and things to do.

emiliaromagnaturismo.it/en/…

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

Bologna is a wonderful city but not much aimed at children so young, unless they like a lot of walking or shopping.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

It is hard to know where to recommend for a 3-day trip with very small children, especially without knowing when you plan to go.

Bologna has some advantages if you are taking very small children to Italy because, unlike many italian cities, Bologna has nice wide, flat sidewalks that are easy to navigate with a stroller, with no worries about shepherding a small child through streets you share with motor traffic. In addition, most of Boogna's streets are covered with porticoes which protect from hot sun or rain and snow

I would not recommend the parco della Montagnola for anything, and the train station area is not a great place to stay. If you rent an apartment, which I would recommend, ask the owners where you can find playground areas with play equipment near where you are staying. Italian children play in the many pedestrianized areas and piazze, and you'll find all kinds of inexpensive toys for sale at newsstands -- balls, airplanes, cheap trucks and even cheap scooters -- so you can buy your children inexpensive amusements to take with them to the piazza.

But like many Italian cities, there are few indoor attractions suitable for children as small as yours. Your five-year-old might be interested to see Bologna's food markets (and the vendors will probably hand out all sorts of treats). The insides of palaces and churches will be of limited interest. The museums are not appropriate at all. When you arrive with Bologna, you might pay a visit to the tourist office to see what they recommend. There is a Ducati motorcycle museum and factory tour in the suburbs of Bologna, but I don't know if it is suitable for children. Likewise, there are often pasta-making classes in Bologna that accept children, but whether your 5-year-old is too small or the instruction is in English, i don't know.

If you are going in summer, there are children's amusements parks along the Adriatic seaside reachable by train or car. Most of the coastal towns have sand beaches. If you like to bicycle, you may be able to rent bikes with child seats in the small town of Ferrara less than an hour away by train. There is an enormous pleasant park in the town of Parma, also easily reached by train. Most of that town is pedestrianzed (as are Modena and Ferrara), so your kids can freely race around.

Maybe the link to the cityguide posted above will help you make up your mind.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 21:32
NY
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

"I would not recommend the parco della Montagnola for anything, and the train station area is not a great place to stay."

Interesting, I saw many people walking and jogging in that park and some families but agree the specific train station area is not great. But suit yourself and take a look if you like and decide for yourself. Bologna is relatively small and the park is within walking distance of many good hotels. Maybe drug dealers have invaded since I was there last year.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

I wasn't suggesting parco della Montagnola is dangerous or drug-infested. There is nothing wrong with it, except perhaps a lot of dog poop, and kids can run around and play there. But there's no reason to seek it out. That's why I wouldn't recommend it for anything. For a 3-day stay in Bologna with kids, I suggest accommodations in the calmer pedestrianized core near piazza Maggiore, not near the heavily trafficked train station. Rather than walk 20 minutes or more from the city core with small children just to get to a park whose offerings aren't very special, might as well go to a nearby set of swings or go play ball in the closest piazza or pedestrianized space to play catch or fly a paper airplane.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 00:54
Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

PS: I would also suggest an apartment rather than a hotel, because restuarants don't serve dinner until 8pm, and then it is a multi-course affair. But many shops in Bologna sell absolutely outstanding handmade pasta and other fabulous food, much of it ready to eat without cooking, so having an apartment with a kitchen can be a superb eating experience of Italy even if you don't have very small kids.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
930 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling to bologna with small children

Hi,

1st of all as you have 3 days only, with 2 children I think they are not many for Bologna itself.

You don't say when you are planning to come so I will give you different suggestions.

Parks: the best, biggest, most beautìful city park is Giardini Margherita (I wouldn't suggest Montagnola to anybody!), in a wonderful area between the historical centre and the hills, abosolutely safe, 15 minutes walk from the 2 Towers: ther's a lake, many playgrounds, a café, jumping park, you can ride a bike, picnic on the grass, do everything (there's even a school inside where I went when I was a kid!).

To have an overall idea of Bologna before choosing what to see I suggest you to take the red bus for tourists and go in the centre and on the hills with it.

For churches: S. Petronio, on Piazza Maggiore, where outside the children can run because it's a pedestrian area; another wonderful church is S. Stefano called also "7 churches" because in the same building you have 7 different churches built in different periods, this is too in a pedestrian area where outside there are always children playing.

Now there is also a small red and blue train taking people on the hills to see the famous Basilica di S. Luca, another famous church and a nice thing to do with children.

Finally in Via Riva Reno there's a reataurant especially conceived for children, with an area for them where they can eat and play wwhile the parents do the same n another room for adults, it's called da Babette: http://www.dababette.it/

Hope this can help

Silvia

Get answers to your questions about Bologna
Recent Conversations