We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Can anyone help please... I'm coming over to Italy next week to visit daughter and BF in Maranello- Flying into Bologna- Looking for car hire for 2 week -need a car for 3 people maybe 4 on occasions Who have you rented cars from at Bologna airport please and how did you rate them???

Obviously looking for value for money not necessarily the cheapest...

Thanks for any help

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

I would avoid Autoeuropa and Locauto. Many like Autoeurope (with an e), which is a broker that adds some customer service to the process, although you lose comtrol of which rental company services the reservation. I would use Avis although it will be a bit more expensive. In any case, be scupulous in noting damage on the paperwork when you pick up the car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Try www.auto-europe.co.uk

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Thanks Both....

essex
Level Contributor
71 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

MUST READ. GOLDCAR HIRE BOLOGNA AIRPORT. I rented a car from auto-europe, (who are car hire agents) I have dealt with them for years with no problem, until now. I hired the car from auto-europe at a cost of £100.83 less discount £74.74 which included everything, however when I went to pick up the car form GOLDCAR you have to pay for the fuel and bring the car back empty (I was only staying for 5 days) you have to pay 58 or 78 euros, not sure now, no problem, then the girl on reception ask would I like extra insurance at a cost of 20euros, which I declined, she said in that case I will have to pay 1000euros deposit, yes folks one thousand euros, so I had no option but to pay the extra 20euros. WHEN I GOT BACK TO ENGLAND MY CARD HAD BEEN DEBITED 221EUROS FOR FUEL AND EXTRA INSURANCE. Looks like it was 20 euros a day so the car cost for the 5 days 312 euros. We drove to Venice for the day which is 200miles there and back and then drove to Pisa for another day, 230+ miles and still I had a quarter of a tank when I took it back !!!!!. GOLDCAR made the Sunday papers in England last week, “The Sunday Mail” one week after I got back home, regarding there sharp practice. Avoid this mob, cheap is not always cheap. Will never use GOLDCAR again.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Thank you for this report - literally just about to book online - think I'm just gonna go with Hertz....

berlin
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Today morning I had also a bad experience with GOLDCAR rental company. When I went to pick up the car I had to pay for the fuel extra and bring the car empty. I payed 85 euros for a Panda. Then the girl on the reception asked for an extra insurence, which I declined. She said in that case I will have to pay 1200 euros deposit. So I had not options. The result is I payed 165 euro more for fuel and extra insurance. I will never use GOLDCAR again!

essex
Level Contributor
71 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

i got caught with this mob in july last year and wrote on TA when i got home, when i want anything abroad i always read TA first you get some very good advice, i know its a bit late but look up my artical on 1st july 2012.

regards. kim

Oxford, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Goldcar are complete scam artists. I should have known when I arrived at the counter at Bologna airport to collect our hire car and saw a customer having a blazing row with the Goldcar girl which eventually had to be broken up by the police. We had to wait over an hour to get the keys to the car. Then she said we had to pay 106 euros for a full tank of petrol which we then had to return empty (it only cost 60 euros to fill in a petrol station). Then she said we either had to pay 120 euros for the excess insurance or leave a credit card pre-authorisation for 1600 euros to cover any excess charge. As I had already taken out separate car hire excess insurance online (for c. £15 -- nothing near the 120 euros they charge) I let them pre charge my card for 1600 euros. She then refused to let me inspect the car before making me sign the rental form. Very dodgy. She said the car was new and was in perfect condition. When I went to get the car from the car park I found 3 dents on it, 2 of them quite big. When I went back to complain to her she made it quite clear that she knew about the dents already and simply marked up the damage on the form. I was so angry with her blatant dishonesty, but what could I do? To cap it all off, she refused to give the second car we had hired to my father-in-law because he had a US driving licence, even though we had already paid for it.

When we came to return the car a week later, we arrived 2 and a half hours before our flight left and there was a line of about 8 or 9 people. Because the Goldcar people are so slow, it soon became clear that we were going to miss our flight, so I went to the desk and said I needed to return the car or I was going to miss our flight. The guy just told me to go to the back of the line, which I did. Half an hour later I tried again and he and his girl colleague both told me to go the back of the line. They made no effort to be even remotely helpful or polite or friendly. Eventually, I went to the front with my screaming baby and a very nice Dutch couple said I could go before them and the other couple in front of us said we could also go in front of them. So, very reluctantly, the guy let me check the car back in and we made our flight home just in time.

So to sum up, please DO NOT USE GOLDCAR. They lure people in with the lowest headline rental rate, then rip you off from the moment you get there. This is clearly their business model - to be really slow and dishonest and rip people off. Use a bigger, better know car rental firm instead.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Just back from a week in Italy, we flew into Bologna and I had arranged to rent a Fiat Punto (or similar) from Hertz at the airport (BLQ). Our flight arrived at 2330 so I was pleased to find the Hertz desk still manned. I completed the paperwork, asked if the car was to be returned with a full or empty tank (Hertz man said FULL). I aked what model of car I was getting (Hertz man said a Punto). We walked to the multi-storey car park to find that in fact we had been allocated a Fiat PANDA! By this time I estimated that the Hertz desk would be closed so we started our journey to Tuscany. Now the Panda isn't a bad car but its 1.2 litre engine is more suited to Holland than the steep hills in the area we were visiting. On return I filled the tank to the brim and got a confirmation from the Hertz lady that i would only be charged the standard rental rate. My suspicions that this might not be the case when I received my credit card charge for 144 Euros over the quoted rate, for the tank of fuel (plus Fuel Service charge). All in all, a bad experience with Hertz thus far, I look forward to them addressing the incorrect car supplied and the overcharging on fuel. I can see why people from the UK take their own cars on to the Continent!

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire...from Bologna Airport

Stay Away from Goldcar, they are absolutely useless...........

and they are running a legalised scam to fleece customers of as much money as they can.

Thy kept me waiting for 2 and Half hours to pick up my car , which was booked for 11 and i couldnt pick up till 1300, however when someone turned up half hour erarlier they turned them away and asked then to come back . The company does not care about the staff, on this day the member of staff was on her own and couldnt even leave the dest to go for a comfort brake.......

They told me that the cover i had purchased fron Rentalcars.com was a waste of time and money and that i should have picked their policy in the first instance......

STAY CLEAR OF GOLDCAR PAY A BIT MORE AND BE SURE YOU DEAL WITH A REPUTABLE COMPANY

Get answers to your questions about Bologna