We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence by Train

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
425 reviews
Save Topic
Florence by Train

We are coming to Bologna at the end of October and want to do a day trip to Florence. Can you tell me what station I need to go to to arrive in Central Florence (is it a direct train?). Also how far is it from the station to centre of town - is it possible to have directions? Thanks.

Any other tips much appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence by Train

There are quite frequent direct fast trains from Bologna to Florence Santa Maria Novella, taking 37 minutes and costing E24. See www.lefrecce.it or www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

As you walk out of the station in Florence, you will see the dome of the Duomo about 200 yards away.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence by Train

Thanks. We were thinking of getting a slower train to save money - are these direct or do you have to change?

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence by Train

Use the web sites I referenced: you can look it up just as easily as I can!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence by Train

It's not necessarily at all obvious...

To find the cheapest on the day trains, use http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html making sure to enter the 'hour' of travel - e.g. '9' for 09.00. Once you have your first page of results, you must then click the 'All solutions' button at the bottom left of the screen. Only then will you be shown all of the cheapest solutions at €8.25 each way, no reservations necessary, which usually require a change of train in Prato.

Note that fares for these connections are NA online more than seven days in advance. You should buy in italy, in which case the tickets are OK for any Regional trains via Prato (direct or needing a change) for two months, until validated (time/date-stamped) before boarding after which they are OK for six hours.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence by Train

I wasnt being lazy. I had looked at the website before your post.

The reason I ask is that I seem to remember reading its only the fast trains that go directly to central Florence (without having to change) whereas on the slower cheaper trains you do have to change. I have looked at the website and am unclear. Thanks for your help.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence by Train

It's probably the mid-price Intercity (IC) trains you're thinking of, which also often require a change. Use the cheap Regional trains at a third of the price of the fastest trains,as suggested in reply 4, if you don't mind the extra time travelling.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 16:09
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence by Train

Perilzia

Thank you for your advice, you have helped me a lot.

So just to be clear we wish to go to Florence on 28 October. Do you suggest looking online during the 7 days prior to 28 October - We only have the Saturday 27th in Bologna and I wonder whether the tickets will have sold out if we leave it too late?

Thanks for your help!

8. Re: Florence by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2013, 10:15