We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
401 reviews
Save Topic
Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

Hello

We arrive late Friday night so want to stock up on saturday morning.

Can anyone tell me the best and nearest market to head for for local produce - and what time they are open till. Also if we want to buy good priced local wine is there a good shop/stall to go to?

Thanks - we are staying south of Piazza Maggiore.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

There's a big covered market right behind Piazza Maggiore, in Via Ugo Bassi.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
930 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

Mercato della Terra via azzogardino - local producers selling directly their products

mercato di mezzo near piazza maggiore

opened for sure in the morning, not sure for the afternoon but some will be certainly closed

for wines Scaramagli strada maggiore (open morning and afternoon)

Silvia

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

Shiraz,

Just another thought to add to the above suggestions:

You should ask your landlord where the nearest best "fruttivendola" is. It is of course great to shop in the historic markets and farmer's markets, but in my experience, many of the many small neighborhood vendors in Bologna have excellent seasonal produce. Not all, but some.

It is also the case that many landlords don't provide you with much written information when you arrive. Maybe if you sent an e-mail in advance, your landlord would be prepared with tips for best food shopping within easy walking distance.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 21:06
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

Thanks for your suggestions. We are staying fairly central in Bologna just south of Piazza Maggiore - Via Delle Tovaglie - I will indeed take your advice about the fruttivendola. But also am looking forward to trying the farmers markets etc. Cant wait! Off on Friday!

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
930 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

I don't think you'll easily find a fruit/vegetables shop near Via Tovaglie, I know very well the area because my parents live nearby and I did too in the past; even if it's in centre and there are shops they are more other kind of shop.

But Piazza Maggiore is less than 10 min. walk and you'll find there everythingh you need.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay!

Silvia

Edited: 23 October 2012, 08:05
6. Re: Best Saturday morning markets in and around central Bologna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Bologna
Recent Conversations