We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains

SprucePine
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
trains

Can you get a train from the airport to Bologna? If so, which train and what is the cost?

United States
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains

Which airport?

TAB

SprucePine
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trains

Sorry! The Rome Airport.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trains

Which one, Fiumicino (Leonardo Di Vinci) or Ciampino?

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains

No to take a train to Bologna ikn Rome you must go to Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina

Silvia

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
826 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trains

You will have to change train like Silvia said, either in Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina.

If arriving at Fiumicino FCO Airport:

- Leonardo Express to Roma Termini is €14 p.P.

- depending on the number of people a Taxi might be more convenient, flat rate is €48;

- FR1 Regional Train to Roma Tiburtina (also does other stops) is €8 p.P.

- Taxi has a flat rate for €55.

From those 2 Main Stations you can reach Bologna

TrenItalia (State operated) offers High-speed Freccia Trains, but also somewhat slower and cheaper InterCities. Mostly departing from Roma Termini, though some long distance IC coming from the South pass through Roma Tiburtina instead: www.trenitalia.com

NTV Italo (Private operated) offers High-Speed Italo Trains, and departs only from Roma Tiburtina: www.italotreno.it

Another useful site all around Train travel in Italy: http://seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

Should you instead arrive at Ciampino CIA Airport there are no train connections to the Airport, to get to the Railroad stations in Rome you must either take a Bus to one of the Stations, or a Taxi to the Station in Ciampino Town, where the FR4 and FR6 will take you to Roma Termini.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 21:35
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trains

Just to put a cat among the pidgeons we fly into Milan. Can you tell me which train to get and the cost from Milan to Bologna as we are staying in Bologna.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
826 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trains

You can either catch a TrenItalia Freccia train, or a NTV Italo train. You can see the links I posted above for these two companies (both available in English - might require clicking on the British Flag)

Travel time from either Milano Centrale (TrenItalia) or Milano Porta Garibaldi (NTV Italo) to Bologna will be around 1h20m

To that you'll have to add the time on the Malpensa Express from the Airport to the Stations (it stops first at Porta Garibaldi, then at Centrale).

About the cost, I can't really tell you how much it will cost you, as it depends on eventual available Savers fares. So you'll have to look that up on the sites.

Two examples:

Should I wish to leave tomorrow at 2:28PM from Milano Porta Garibaldi on the Italo (so one might say almost last-minute), the "Low-Cost" tickets are already sold out, but I could still get the "Economy" for either Smart (€30 - instead of €43) or Prima (€43 - instead of €61). "Economy" is sold out for Club Class, though I could go full price for €70. So I could even choose wether to go and save money and travel in Smart Class, or I could get Prima Class at what would be the full price of Smart).

Should I instead wish to leave tomorrow at 2:10PM from Milano Centrale on the Frecciarossa, the "Super-Economy" tickets are already sold out, but I could still at this time book: "Economy" for Standard Class (€29 instead of €40), Premium Class (€39 instead of €49). Economy tickets are sold out for Business Class, though I could go full price for €60. Or take the splurge for Executive Class (€93).

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,583 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trains

If arriving by plane, it is probably best to buy on arrival at Fiumicino Aeroporto train station, as if you miss your booked train from Roma Termini because of a delayed flight, your ticket could well be worthless.

For Roma Termini to Bologna Centrale, the reduced Super Economy tickets cannot be changed at all, Economy tickets cannot be changed after the departure of your booked train, and even the full price Base tickets can only be changed for one hour after. There are no advance reductions for Fiumicino Aeroporto-Roma Termini online tickets, which become worthless 90 minutes after the departure of your booked train.

If available, it is worth taking a bet on the cheapest €9 advance tickets from Roma Termini to Bologna Centrale, as these are so cheap it doesn't matter to lose the money.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna Centrale
Bologna Centrale
43 Reviews
Bologna, Italy
9. Re: trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 07:16