We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

end of trip - budget places to eat

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
end of trip - budget places to eat

Hi,

We are ending our holiday in Bologna (basically waiting a day and a night for the flight home) so I'd be grateful for any tips of budget places to eat for lunch and dinner. Its the end of our trip, so I'd like to research budget places to eat for 2 adults and 2 teens. Pizza, pasta, salad - that kind of thing.

Thanks in advance.

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

I just recently stayed in Bologna and I think this place might possibly meet your needs.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187801-d1…

England
Level Contributor
129 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

We stayed in Bologna in Jan and we enjoyed eating at Buca Manzone, Via Manzone - we had a sunday lunch there - very reasonable and very good. It was, if I remember towards the cathedral end of the Via Indipenza in a street (via Manzone) on the right.

Trattoria Bolognese (original name!), Via Mille 5 - it does a three course lunch for 13 euros - litre carafe of wine 10 euros. The pasta was great - main course fine - desserts were not a strong point! The waiter, an older guy, seems a bit off putting but he warmed up after a while and as it was raining outside we were happy to spend time over lunch and watch the locals.

We stayed in the hotel Internazionale if you have it on your right and walk down the via Indipendeza towards the cathedral there was a side street on the left - cannot remember the name with two Pizzeria in it - both good and both reasonable - and all full of local people.

Hope you enjoy Bologna as much as we did

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
918 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

where are you staying ? (hotel)

whayt do you mean for budget place? which is your budget?

In any case with a pizza or a dish of pasta unless you go in the most expensive restaurants in town you won't spend more than 20 €, for dinner you can also decide for an aperitivo or apericena (10-15 €), many people actually use aperitivo for dinner.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 14:07
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

Trattoria del Sole is BYO food which you can buy into the deli shops nearby and have it sitting in the trattoria only orderings drinks.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

Just came home from eating in a place called La Praia, dont go there we were very disappointed and will do a review when I get home. We were the only people in it and it was over 45 minutes before we got entre and 25 minutes after that we got mains. I am looking for a place that does not charge E3 or less for using a table cloth and knives and forks!!! we had soup and got charged. Mind boggling - may just go get a steak and salad from the super market. What gives!!!! I just want an original Italian place that is serving local food without all the extras. I have had Italians in Australia for long enough to cook better than the place we just ate at!!! We here for another 5 nights and in an area close to Piazza Maggiore and will walk for a decent eatery. All suggestions accepted. Off to Venice tomorrow and Florence the next day but the weekends will be here in Bologna. Thanks in advance. K

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,098 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

Keza - I guess you didn't read up on Italian culture when it comes to dining out before your trip? Coperto is always included in a restaurant meal (except for the Lazio region) - pane (bread) too in most places. It happens to be what they do there - If you travel expecting things to be as they are at home, you will probably find more disappointments along your way through Italy.

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

"we had soup and got charged. Mind boggling "

If you ordered soup why is it mind boggling to get charged for the soup?

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

ahahah nice miriam

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
918 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

1st of ll in Italy is normal to have a charge for pane e coperto (bread and service), but you're not obliged to give any tip.

So please don't judge a restaurant for this.

Close to Piazza Maggiore area go for a delicious pizza at Scalinatella: http://www.ristorantepizzeriascalinatella.it/

Apericena at Colazione da Bianca in Piazza S. stefano, Corte Isolani or Caffè Zamboni

A bit more expensive but really good Teresina in Via Oberdan:

http://www.ristoranteteresinabologna.it/

Also don Camillo is really good:

http://www.hostariadoncamillo.com/

Enjoy!

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: end of trip - budget places to eat

buon appetito