We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Bologna

Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
369 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Bologna

So we have 3 full days in Bologna:

Day 1 we are driving north to http://www.anticacortepallavicinarelais.com/ for a tour and some eating.

Day 2 is a Food Tour with Italian Days with some eating.

Day 3 is our open day. Assume we will need to eat here as well.

That last day is a Saturday and we'd like to jam pack as much into it as we can. What would be the perfect day in Bologna? We are interested in architecture, local culture, museums and/or churches. We'd like to make the best of that day. We are staying about 16 KM outside of Bologna at winery so it is possible that we can come into town on the evening of day 1 as well. any thoughts or resources are welcome.

Thanks so much!

ETA: We are a youngish couple in our early 40's but are very active so walking is not an issue.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 04:09
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Bologna

This google map has some of the sights on it. We were only in Bologna one day on a daytrip

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Bologna

Hi Smokey we recently spent 3 days in Bologna and I posted a trip report here tripadvisor.ca/GoListDetail-i37801-Three_day…

I enjoyed just walking around Bologna; I would suggest to start at the Piazza Maggiore and then walk through the quadrilatero district then Via Zamboni up to the university area. I found a nice family run restaurant there, which I would recommend for a lunch stop. See items 3, 4 and 8 on my list!

Edited: 15 July 2013, 12:43
Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
369 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Bologna

Thanks for the feedback. If you had only ONE day, which would you rank as most important? Towers, church, squares, canals, etc?

Or are they all equally interesting and we should just see what we see as we wander the city? I've done both a planned course as well as just random ambling. We just don't want to miss a must see.

Thanks again! Only 2.5 months to go!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Bologna

I would start at the Piazza Maggiore, there you'll see the fountain of Neptune and you can go inside the San Petronio cathedral. From there I'd try to see the Ansinelli tower, hopefully you'll get to climb to the top (we didn't get to do it because of limited opening hours) but its interesting to see at ground level too.

From there, I'd say just walk around, and pick one or two of the museums based on your interest as well as opening hours. Most stores and attractions are closed at mid-day, that's when you should have lunch!

If you look at sites like frommers you can get ratings of attractions, or check the TA link on things to do to see what other people rated highly. As I mentioned in my list, I was disappointed in the visit to San Stefano, but it is highly rated by others.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 18:52
Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
369 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Bologna

Thanks, Rock, I appreciate your feedback. I have been overwhelmed with the options and now that we have 2 days consumed with excursions I want to be efficient on our in-town day. With so many places on our "to see" list, I doubt we will back here again. I read your trip review last night and gave you a thumbs up on it. It was very informative!

(I did not let my husband read it though so he doesn't pine too badly for not doing the car museums and track.)

6. Re: One day in Bologna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20