We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit in August

warrington
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Topic
visit in August

My husband and I are planning to visit Bologna for 4 days during August. I have read on one website that a lot of restaurants and shops shut down during August as the owners take their annual holidays during this time. I should be grateful if you could let me know if this is true or not. Also, if we were to visit which is the best area to look for for accommodation - we would want to be in walking distance to bars and restaurants

thanks so much

England
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit in August

Hi, I'm in Bologna at the moment and was told yesterday by our tour guide that she has to take her holidays in August because that's when the business closes down, and that 90% of shops and hotels do.

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit in August

Yes, the business usually close down in August for 2 or 3 weeks. But due the economical problems the most of families stay in city, so even the most of shops and restaurants are opened. In the central week of August (the Ferragosto week) probably abut 60/70% of shops will be closed, but on other week much more will be opened.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit in August

Stay in D'Azeglio-Castiglione-S.Stefano area and don't worry no more than 50% of shops closed and the same for restaurants, so you won't have the full choice but no problems.

4. Re: visit in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:16