We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

Hello! im planning a trip for christmas/new years break with my parents (late 50's)

since we are arriving in Milano we are speding 3 days there, ( meaby lugano for a day trip)

then I want to stay 4 days and have a base in Bologna (never been before)

my plans are to book a hotel very close to the train station and have 1 day to see the city, and do some day trips to near by cities.

my question is what day trips do you experts recommend? it will be on the winter time, no problem we are coming from Miami, and believe me is good for a change!! restaurants to try?

i was thinking Verona, Parma?

i had been 2 times before in Florence, so i want to see some other towns...

after Bologna Im planning to head to Rome for few more days.

any advise will be very much appreciated!!

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

To be perfectly honest, my best advice would be to wait and repost your question, or questions, once you have access to a computer with a word processing program with which you can capitalize and punctuate your words. I believe that process also forces people to organize their thoughts, ultimately making it much easier for those trying to help them.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

Patty,

This may help www.turismo.ra.it/eng/Homepage/City-of-Art

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

Thank you! i will check it out.

to re-organize my questions as the other member metioned.

- what day trips from Bologna do you recommend? (i will be staying for 4 days)

- is any specific town or village that anyone can suggest going on a winter time?

- must go restaurants in the area.

once again any help will be great!

I hope I was clear enough for the member QQ2 :)

Thanks,

Edited: 30 July 2014, 01:49
Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
949 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

First: of all not stay so close to the station, Bologna centre is compact you don't need to be in front of the station to go there and you will be in a much more beautiful and safer area.

I would keep 2 days for Bologna, 1 is not enough believe me.

So I will suggest you 2 day trips and I would stay in Emilia Romagna: Ferrara (a little gem just half an hour from Bologna), and Ravenna.

No special winter places around I'm sorry.

As for restaurant they are many (not in the station area but in the ancient centre), it depends on what you want to eat, I can give you some name I would suggest for a 1st visit in town: La Teresina, La Santa, La Capriata, Osteria Borccaindosso (traditional); Scalinatella, Bella Napoli or O sole mio for pizza, Sale Grosso, Da Francesco, Da Maro (fish).

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

Ravenna and Ferrara are good day trips from Bologna.

Google map of Bologna with sights markded

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Map of Ferrara

Map of Ravenna

CA
Level Contributor
7,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

The Albergo Centrale is a very well-run family-owned hotel with reasonable rates that include a very nice breakfast. There is a excellent restaurant next door.

If you go to Parma, have lunch at La Forchetta, then to the gelateria behind the duomo where they will fashion a cone in the shape of a rose.

montreal
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

I normally stay at i portici hotel which is located on independenza street and about 5-10 min walk to train station one way and other way very close to many shops and restaurants and central bologna. I took day trip to Venice. left early in morning and took 7:00 pm train back. Florence is great day trip but you already did that, if you don't want to stay in Florence you can take train to Florence and spend day in tuscan countryside (they have day tours). Train ride to florence from bologna is only 30 minutes. bologna hotels are much cheaper than most hotels in florence/tuscany and Venice so i love traveling from bologna. I have stayed at other hotels around train station which were even less expensive than i portici such as AC Marriott hotel which is an average of 85.00/night including buffet breakfast and its 10 minute walk through residential area to train station. Area was very safe.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

Thank you! so much for all the tips and suggestions!

I reserve UNA hotel, looks like a great hotel and the price was very good too, is the area safe? i will definitely explore as much as i can.

day trips to ferrara and ravenna.

one more time thanks!! :)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

We are going to Bologna in September..woo hoo one month away. We have reserved the

Alloro Suite Hotel, great reviews and looks wonderful. We are planning on going to Parma, Pisa,Florence and a few other places that would allow us to go as a day trip. We are in our 60's and early 70's so I hope this will give you some ideas re you and your parents. Have a great trip.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bolgna Experts.. please help :)

Thank you! please report back your trip experiences! have fun :)