We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Bolgna by train?

Wales
Level Contributor
70 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Bolgna by train?

So I will be in Bologna for three days in September. While there, I am looking to take advantage of the great train links to the nearby heritage cities of Ravenna, Modena, Parma and Ferrara.

I know I won't get chance to do them all as I want to to enjoy Bologna but it's a great base for day trips. I enjoy architecture and particularly enjoy the old, medieval cities.

So which of these would you recommend and why?

Which cities would you prioritise over the others?

Thanks for any help you can give.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

I am obviously biased but this is my advice:

1. Parma

2. Ferrara

3. Ravenna

as you have a limited amount of time I would skip Modena as I don't think it has as much to offer as the other 3 cities.

These are all lovely small cities that you can experience best by having a stroll through the old streets of their historical centres and the train is definitely the best way to move around as all the stations are basically in the centre.

If you need more specific advice, tell us more on what you'd like to do and see! :)

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,523 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

I would choose Ferrara and Ravenna. Ferrara has perhaps the most beautiful architectnical complex, Ravenna is famous in all the world for its wonderful Byzantine mosaics though on the whole it appears less impressive.

I would skip Parma and Modena, though they are very nice too. Or in case you could visit both in the same day: Modena is exactly on the way between Parma and Bologna. Since you validate your ticket of regional train Parma-Bologna in Parma you have 6 hours to get off in Bologna. I think that a stop in Modena and a rapid visit of 2-3 hours before taking the next train to Bologna would be possible.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

It's possible to visit them in 3 days but consider some time to dedicate to Bologna. Ravenna is the most beautiful among them and needs some time. Parma is visitable in one day and Modena also. I wouldn't miss Ravenna.

Wales
Level Contributor
70 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

Many thanks...

If I were to say to you that I will probably visit Siena and Bergamo, which of these offers something different and would your recommendations change. Exploring old streets and historical centres is very much my thing.

Thanks again

Bob

Wales
Level Contributor
70 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

Many thanks...I very much like the idea of taking in Parma & Modena in one day but how rushed would that be train wise?

Also, if I were to say to you that I will probably visit Siena and Bergamo, which of these offers something different and would your recommendations change. Exploring old streets and historical centres is very much my thing.

Thanks again,

Bob

Wales
Level Contributor
70 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

Many thanks...Ravenna seems to be a consistent winner.

If I were to say to you that I will probably visit Siena and Bergamo, which of these offers something different and would your recommendation change. Exploring old streets and historical centres is very much my thing.

Thanks again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

I've never been to Bergamo so I cannot advise you on that one. Siena is one of my favourite places in the world EVER so I would suggest you to spend more time there, rather than squeezing it in in a very busy schedule and not getting the most out of it. Being based in Bologna I'd suggest you to explore the beautiful towns of Emilia Romagna, and plan a separate holiday to see Siena and its beautiful countryside :)

8. Re: Day trips from Bolgna by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 05:16