We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

Lincoln, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

Hi, I'm looking to find the grave of Captain Patrick Dudgeon ( Killed Sept 1943). It is by the church at Passo della Cisa - does anyone know anything about it? Any ideas of where to stay when I'm there?

All advice and info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

Excellent details of his war efforts here:

…blogspot.ca/2009/09/world-war-memory-via-we…

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

I am no expert on British war graves, but just suggest you seek confirmation of this from British government. In the case of Americans killed abroad,many were later removed from temporary graves and either returned to their families in U.S. or re-interred in American military cemeteries abroad (e.g., Italy, France, etc.).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

For those who fought for Britain and other Commonwealth countries (like Canada), the bodies were not repatriated. They were removed from temporary graves and placed in cemeteries that are now controlled by

www.cwgc.org/‎

Information on the burial places of Commonwealth soldiers, sailors and air crew.

usually close to where they fell. These cemeteries are well documented on line with lists of those buried, ages, where they fell etc.

But I do know that there are some who were buried in church cemeteries who were not moved, but an official war graves headstone was placed on the graves at the end of the war during the time that the headstones were being placed in the war graves cemeteries.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

Check here for more info

yewtreehouse.org/LUSIGNANA/…Speedwell.pdf

England, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

If you are in the area, on 1 July 2014 there will be formal ceremonies, led by Brian Lett at the memorials at the Cisa (where Patrick Dudgeon and Bernard Brunt were executed), as well as at Ponzano Magra (where James Foster and William Foster were executed). On 3 July, a new memorial will be inaugurated at Rossano to commemorate seven aircrew (5 US & 2 Brits), who perished when their Dakota plane crashed on 30 December 1944.

If you need more information on the ceremonies, please contact me.

When the war ended, the remains of Dudgeon and Brunt were moved to the Military Cemetery in Florence, and those of Foster and Shortall to the Staglieno Military Cemetery in Genoa.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
6. Re: Passo della Cisa, the grave of Patrick Dudgeon ( killed 1943

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16