We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Alpine Day in Piacenza

Redding, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
National Alpine Day in Piacenza

We are traveling in the Piacenza area in the first 2 weeks in May 2013. I have seen articles about a National day with A LOT of people but I can't tell what it's all about. Anyone have any information?

Thanks

Piacenza, Italy
Level Contributor
663 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Alpine Day in Piacenza

First of all, do you know who "Alpini" are? Just in case... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpini

In May 10th - 12th there will be the "Adunata Nazionale 2013" which can be quickly described as a very big meeting that they make every year, the most important one for the Alpini. A lot of them are expected here and I guess the town will be quite crowded in those days. But it will be a big party! There are also other activities related to it and now the town is full of flags that Alpini are putting in the main streets, plus some mure that people hang on their own on windows. Personally I like it a lot. :)

If you are interested in the web page of it, it's this one but it's in Italian: www.ana.it/pagine/adunate/piacenza2013.dot#

Edited: 18 April 2013, 22:15
Redding, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Alpine Day in Piacenza

Thank you so much I learned alot on the Alpini Wiki page. It's hard to understand when the computer translates because doesn't always use the correct words. It can give it a whole different meaning. One website said 25,000 prisoners instead of 25,000 soldiers! That's a big difference.

Sounds like a lot of fun... but we will go around that part of Italy this trip.

Thanks for the web sites and taking the time to post.

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Alpine Day in Piacenza

Hi,

usually the National Alpine (alpine = Alpine trooper, not lover of Alps!) parade is a big party. The most important even is the parade, starting the Sunday morning and end in the late afternoon. The most who join the parade are old soldiers. Usually at the beginning there are some military units, then start the groups (from the most far, to the most close to the city, so at begining there are the groups from Australia, Northern and South America; only in late afternoon there are the groups from Piacenza).

Usually there are some tens of thousands ex soldier, more friends, family and so on... Some years the meeting collect more than 150'000 Alpines.

Usually on Saturday and Friday there are some other official events. Is possible there are even concerts of military bands (fanfara) and chorus (Alpine are famous for chorus). On Saturday evening usually the city become very crowded and even with an unofficial parade. Bring your own glass (better made of plastic or metal) if you want drink for free: there are often section who offer wine or grappa, but they have big demijohn and not glasses.

Ad Excelsa Tendo

Riccardo

Redding, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Alpine Day in Piacenza

thank you for the reply

5. Re: National Alpine Day in Piacenza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Piacenza