We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

Which Ravenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
utah
Level Contributor
289 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

Hello -

For our final day in Italy we will be driving the Adriatic Coast, starting in Venice then through Ravenna, and Rimini on SS76 and cutting across at A24. I'm thinking we'll stop for brunch in Ravenna and then again somewhere between Rimini and Rome. I'm wondering, if you could explain to me the Limited Traffic Zone a little more:

1. When we see the signs will it be easy to turn around or, once you see the signs is it too late?

2. Will maps purchased in Italy mark the Limited Traffic Zones?

3. Is it easy to just find a parking zone and then walk to the town center?

We'll really probably only be dealing with this in Ravenna and Rimini, and I've searched the topic, reviewed google images of the signs, but need a little "this is what to expect" pep talk from other TA's who've been there, done that. I'll also continue reading up on past posts as I am a little intimidated by this whole process.

Much thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

1. The sign for a Limited Traffic Zone is a red circle with a white centre, like an Italian speed limit sign with no numbers. Do not drive past such a sign. It is always possible to take a turn to avoid entering the restricted area. They are usually very easy to see. An example from Mantova is at nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/…577-Mantua-Ztl.jpg

2. Usually not. A road map covering a region cannot show this sort of detail.

3. Yes.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

Yes, in Ravenna there is a parking lot next to the Jolly Hotel, Find the train station and drive downViale Farini. On your left you will see a parking lot. If that one is full drive straight and turn left on Beactice Alighieri there is a lot on the right hand side..look for the big blue P. there is also a large lot behind San Vitale. Also one a Piz Kennedy. Yu cannot drive in the center of Ravenna..period.

Italians dont do brunch.

Lunch starts at 12:30 and goes until 3. Dinner hours are 7:30 until about 10 or 10:30.

Ravenna has a nice covered market on Pz Costa. Inside there is a self serve restaurant. Same hours but if you are pressed for time it is good, inexpensive and quick. It will be filled with market workers and mothers with little children. Good way to see "the locals".

If you re not pressed for time then eat in one of the many wonderful places serving romagnole dishes.

La Gardela (near the market) closed Thursday. Vecchia Ravenna, closed Sunday. Al Passatore closed Wednesday. Vecchia Ravenna is on Via Pasolini and Al Passatore is on Via Guaccimanni right off Via dei Roma.

utah
Level Contributor
289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

Thank you both for the information. Agatha, I've emailed your instructions to myself so I'll have them saved in my phone and able to access them once I get out of US cell phone range.

Didn't realize brunch was a regional thing, what time do restaraunts stop serving breakfast? What I'm calling brunch may actually be just a late breakfast. If we leave Venice early (around 7:00 am), could we make it to Ravenna for breakfast and then wander through town?

Also, maybe we'll just go to the Piazza Costa and have a late morning snack and a cappucino rather than a sit down meal. (I imagine one can get a coffee at any time of the day?)

Thanks very much!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

Funny you should inquire . I was talking to my daughter today and telling her of your post. I said, I told the lady Italians do not do brunch..she replied I hope you also told her they dont do breakfast (as it is known to Americans and the Brits).

Breakfast is coffee and a sweet roll or a toasted sandwich..usualy taken standing up in a bar.

Only in hotels and B and B will you find eggs , bacon, toast , jam and fruit,

Just go to one of the bars in the PZ del Popolo and have a coffee and a sweet roll. It is the center of town and good for people watching.

utah
Level Contributor
289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

I'm a light breakfast eater, but I do like to sit for eating, rather than walk-n-dine, will there be any options in Ravenna to sit at a nice table with pastries and coffee?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

In any Italian town, there will be places where you can sit at a nice table and have an Italian breakfast. But it will cost more than if you eat standing up.

utah
Level Contributor
289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

Dining is the one place I'm ALWAYS willing to pay more, especially on this trip where the experience is so much more important than the itinerary.

Thanks to all - just three more days till we leave.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

Yes, I would go to the PZ del Popolo and you can sit outside. Or just across the sreet from the Mercato Coperto is a bar with outside seating.

On the S 309 north of Ravenna there is a McDonalds!!!! :)

The S 309 is a very busy road ,with many trucks. It is filled with places to stop and have coffee.

Porto Garibaldi is the fishing port. There are places near the docks serving cofffee and rolls.

Pomposa is a nice stop to visit the religious community. They too have a coffee bar

Comacchio is the eel center of Italy. Also has places serving coffee.

enjoy

9. Re: Driving - Venice to Rome via Ravenna and Rimini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ravenna