We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lignango Sabbiadoro

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lignango Sabbiadoro

We are back after a wonderful week in Lignano.

One thing we noticed when we were on the beach was that the beach was patroled by the police and they tried to caught the beachsellers. They also patroled the city in the evenings. I know that it is not allowed to buy "Prada", "Gucci" and so on, but is it allowed to buy towells, toys, rasta and other things? What would eventully happend if we got caught?

We have been several times in Italy, but never noticed this before.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,611 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lignango Sabbiadoro

There is a widespread effort in Italy to clamp down on illegal street sellers who are often either selling fake goods or trading without a licence.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lignango Sabbiadoro

Thank you for the answer.

I understand that it is illegal to sell things, but what happend to turists who buy this things? Will they get any penalty?

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lignango Sabbiadoro

I really think police is much more after the sellers rather than the purchasers. Fines and troubles might come up when buying fake famous brands and even more from illegally duplicated copyrighted digital material though (that can be theoretically punished with jail time in Italy!).

As for purchasing the souvenirs you mention from people who don't have a license to sell goods, well, that might cost you a ticket (fine), but police tends not to be too strict with Italians on the matter, so I think there should be practically no consequence for foreigners.

With this said, I'm not encouraging anyone here towards purchasing stuff from such sellers (actually, staying away from them causes no risks for even a fine), but I wouldn't be overly worried either, if I had purchased something; I live in Italy and I see many Italians do it while on the beach. I came to a conclusion that it's one of those things which are tolerated. Of course, stay away from fakes and copyrighted stuff; that's for sure!

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lignango Sabbiadoro

Thank you very much the answer!

5. Re: Lignango Sabbiadoro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Friuli Venezia Giulia
More Friuli Venezia Giulia Topics