We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation options in FVG

anchorage
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation options in FVG

My family (husband and 2 year old daughter) will be spending a month in FVG. We are starting out with a week in Grado and then plan to play it by ear for the rest of the time. What would be best for getting around the area: relying on public transportation or renting a car? We are nervous about driving in an unfamiliar place but think that having a car might allow us to be more mobile for day trips, etc., especially with a young child. Any advice would be most helpful.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation options in FVG

Rent a car. It will make it much easier to get around, especially with a young child.

Outside the big cities, driving in Italy is no more difficult than driving in the USA. Don't forget to go to the AAA for an International Drivers Permit before you leave.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation options in FVG

In general, I second sydneynick tip.

BUT, I'd also say a lot depends on what you plan to do, once you get here. All main cities are in fact linked very well by train. Moreover there's a single company running these services, so that it might be also very easy for you to schedule transfers and buy tickets.

The story's very different if you like to move to those areas which are outside of railway reach though. It wouldn't definitely be easy to reach them. There are actually coaches taking you pretty much everywhere, but you'd have to adapt to their timetables (some services just don't run very often and, to make things worse, there'd be more than one company which you'd need to consider, because service provider usually depends on the area which you plan to reach. Being local (and hence small companies), some of such providers couldn't even be able to provide information in English to you as for timetables, fares...

So, at the end, if your plan includes a lot of cities (IE Trieste, Udine, Pordenone, Venice, Treviso - even if they're out of Friuli, I wouldn't miss the last two in this list), rather than other kinds of point of interests (IE beaches, lakes, mountain tracks...), you could do fine with just train transfers.

Otherwise, I highly reccomend that you go for the car. If the highway - kinda fast paced compared to highways in most of US states - scares you, you could still go everywhere through standard roads; a little slower, but you'd enjoy the environment more and also won't find yourself in challenging driving situations.

Just my 2 cents here, hopefully they'll be useful to you. ;-)

anchorage
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation options in FVG

Thanks for the advice. We are now thinking about renting a car for part of our trip and then using trains for transport to Venice and/or Trieste.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation options in FVG

Seems like a good option. Forgot to say... avoid by all means a car in Trieste (scarce parking, crazy traffic); and also you won't need it in Venice. In cities such as Udine, Treviso, Pordenone, Gorizia the situation is definitely better. Your idea of using trains to reach cities (or places which can be reached by train) and then renting a car for getting to "remote" areas is probably the best option for you, though. That's what I would do, if I were in you. Feel free to write if you have more doubts. Good luck, enjoy your trip!

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation options in FVG

Hi I am looking at traveling with my father (75) who is origianly from Forni Avoltri from Udine to Forni Avoltri for probably his last trip, by bus or car and then on to San Candido again by car or bus, where we wanted to catch a train or drive to Zurick where we meeting some friends. i am seriously strugelling to find out bus timetables and it seams that its not such a simple option to rent a car in udine and drop it of in San Candido or even innsbruck at that. Could somebody give advice.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation options in FVG

To get from Udine to San Candido through Forni Avoltri, you can catch the SAF bus doing that route: http://bit.ly/gXol4F

On that website, it's said to be a service running everyday. You can also check out the SAF website, where SAF is the company operating the transfer. IMHO their website isn't the best one around ,in terms of usability. You might want to check this out yourself and see if you do better than I can: http://www.saf.ud.it (it seems to be in Italian only)

Otherwise, here it is what I could get after a few minutes of play with all those useless forms: http://bit.ly/gSo5oX

If you don't speak Italian, it might be hard to get to this point, but hopefully this will be enough for you. You might be able to purchase your tickets online, through the first link I gave you.

As for your transfer to Innsbruck, you can either check out what trains have to offer:

- Italian railways: www.trenitalia.com

- Austrian railways: www.oebb.at

or you can check out South Tirol bus service here: http://www.sii.bz.it/en (website is now - partly - in English and MUCH easier to use compared to SAF).

Hope this helps, happy trip planning in Italy!

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation options in FVG

Renting a car is probably the easiest as long as you drop the car off in Italy to avoid drop off charges in another country.

Avis shows locations in Udine and Bressanone. You could continue on to Zurich from Bressanone by train. Even if you had to backtrack to Bolzano to drop off a rental car, it would make your mountain trasport much easier.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation options in FVG

When are you planning to be in Italy? If it's in winter, please be aware that snow is quite common and (narrow) roads can become very slippery. Train can be an option if you do not feel comfortable driving.

9. Re: Transportation options in FVG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Friuli Venezia Giulia
More Friuli Venezia Giulia Topics