We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trieste for a beach holiday?

London, United...
Level Contributor
737 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Trieste for a beach holiday?

My friend and I are looking for somewhere to relaxe in August after we have been to a punk festivsal in Tolmin, Slovenia.

I have previously flown into Trieste as it is much cheaper than Slovenia's capital.

Are there places in or around trieste where we can swim/lie on the beach? Would this be ok to do in August or would it be swarming with Italians on holiday?

Thanks for any help!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trieste for a beach holiday?

Trieste isn't a beach holiday destination. It is a working industrial port.

Are you actually looking for a "sandy beach" because you will have difficulty. Most of the coastline around Trieste into Slovenia and Croatia is rugged rocks. Hardly any sand to speak of. On the Italian side don't really see a "beach" until you get round to Grado (which will be busy).

Not ideal and will be busy but if staying in/around Trieste you could take the Linea 20 bus to Muggia

www.triestetrasporti.it/index.php?linea-20

There are plenty of bus services and you can wander away from the Marinas along the coast towards Lazzaretto if you wish. No sand but better than lying around with the tankers

General bus services

www.triestetrasporti.it/index.php…

Further afield on the Slovenian/Croatia side places like Portoroz and Umag and Porec are popular summer destinations (Germans amongst others) so will be busy.

You can get buses to Slovenia/Croatia

www.autostazionetrieste.it/index.php…

www.autostazionetrieste.it/index.php…

Edited: 22 March 2012, 14:11
London, United...
Level Contributor
737 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trieste for a beach holiday?

Thanks for reply, not too bothered about sand- have been to Piran and Portoroz but they were very dated I thought.....will keep thinking, thanks for you reply!

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trieste for a beach holiday?

One thing you could do is to sleep in Trieste and then take a (fast) boat to Lignano Sabbiadoro. There's a good roundtrip service. It also gets to some place in Croatia as well. And can be handy to avoid traffic on roads (lot of it to be expected in the days of the show!). I'd definitely give "Good Riddance" - punk pun intended :-D - to road on these days and give a go for the boat (or train, if available instead). With boat, it should take you about an hour to get to Lignano. A little more for the Croatian places. Lignano might be a busier place; but it's a fine sand beach, immersed within a young atmosphere.

Else from Trieste, you might try to catch a bus to get to nearby pebble beaches such as Sistiana. They should run on secondary roads where traffic might be less of an issue on those days.

Or, you could decide to sleep near Palmanova instead. From there you could reach the beach of Grado, and you're in a good position to reach Tolmin as well. BTW, I'm also considering attending the show.

cheers,

steve

Edited: 24 March 2012, 13:12
4. Re: Trieste for a beach holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:42
Get answers to your questions about Trieste