We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help getting from Lipica Slovenia to Venice via Trieste

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Need help getting from Lipica Slovenia to Venice via Trieste

I had hoped to travel from Piran to Venice on July 4th but just found out that the ferry is not running on the 4th. I was told I need to take a train from Trieste to Venice. I will have a rental car on July 3rd and will be in Lipica. I know Lipica is close to Trieste but how easy is it to drop of a car in Lipica? Or, do people suggest dropping the car off in Trieste? I was told that it is a cheap taxi to get from Lipica to Trieste but expensive to drop a car off in Trieste that was originally rented in Slovenia. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
954 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help getting from Lipica Slovenia to Venice via Trieste

Hi again Sabrina!

You cannot drop off the car in Lipica as far as we know as it is only a small place and not a major city.

Ask your rental company about the drop off charge for Trieste.

That seems your only option if you are using the car to get to Lipica.

Koper might be a cheaper option if offered for a drop off but you still need to get to Trieste by bus afterwards.

Cheers

Greg and Rona

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help getting from Lipica Slovenia to Venice via Trieste

Thanks for the reply. It is so frusterating that things are not going as I had hoped. Everyone had told me ferries were frequent so I thought I could take one from Piran and drop the car off there. I am now also dealing with the concern about driving in Slovenia. I am traveling from Florida to Slovenia and heard from two people last night that driving in Europe is a really bad idea because the roads are not well marked, I don't speak the language so I won't be able to understand the signs even if there are a few and drivers are quite aggresive. What do you think? I need to go from the airport to bled, then to lipica, the capitol, the town where the castle is in a mountain, the cave near that castle, maybe a gorge near bled and maybe Piran. How difficult will it be to get to those places?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help getting from Lipica Slovenia to Venice via Trieste

Driving in Slovenia is not difficult, just print out your itinerary so you know which signs to follow. Not speaking the language also isn't a problem, the majority of people also speak English.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,273 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help getting from Lipica Slovenia to Venice via Trieste

Check your driving itinerary on the route planner www.viamichelin.com

5. Re: Need help getting from Lipica Slovenia to Venice via Trieste

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:17