We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

My husband just found his grandmother's record of passage from Italy to Canada in 1922 on ancestry.ca.

On the paperwork, her home town was listed as Beumia or Boumia but she had always told family she was from Udine.

I can't find any info. on this town when I do a search. Is it possible this town ceased to exist after the war or blended with other towns under a new name? It is also possible her information was taken down wrong and something got lost in translation.

Any information you can provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Carolyn

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

My atlas shows a "Bueriis" 18 km north of Udine. I could find nothing closer to your spelling.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

Thanks very much!

Honestly thought this post was dead in the water but thanks for the possibility of a similar town name.

I realize that records were often poor at the time and town names were often misspelled and that may be the case.

We are going to Udine in October and will look into Bueriis.

Once again, thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

According to the Web site Comuni Italiani, there's a village/town called Buia in the province of Udine. It's about 20 kilometers from the city of Udine. It's not the same place as Bueriis, which Comuni Italiani does not list as an independent municipality.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 16:47
La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

You might want to try entering your grandmother's surname (cognome) in the Italian phone white pages for various locations around Udine, and see if you get a match:

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

A cluster of people with the same surname may show you are on the right track.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

This might be a huge stretch.....there is a village called Biauzzo. It is located about 5 or 6 kilometers from Codroipo, on the road that goes towards the Tagliamento River (via Tagliamento), in the region of Udine. There is also a place called Buttrio, just to the south east.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

We looked over the paperwork for Ken's grandmother and it appears the town name is spelled 'Baumia' not Buemia or Buomiaas we previously thought.

I did a search in the provided link(thanks, zatara) for Moratto(last name) and came up with only a few listings for Moratto's in Udine. I willl continue to search and see what comes up.

Thanks for all your help!

Carolyn

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

After much more research, we discovered his grandmother came from Marsano al Tagliamento, almost an hour southwest of Udine. The passage to Canada listed her birthplace as Baumia but further down in the paperwork, her hometown was listed as Marsano. We still don't know what Baumia is.

The Ellis Island records confirmed she and much of her family(Moratto) came from Marsano during the early 1900's. We looked into Moratto's still living in Marsano and only came up with 2 names. Her mother's family name,Pellerin, however, we found many listings for.

Thanks for all your help and for the link to the white pages.

If anyone's been to this town, please share your experience of it.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

A google search for 'Baumia' yields no result at all.

Note that the correct spelling for the small town you found is MORSANO, not Marsano, and it has nothing to do with Udine at all -- it actually belongs to the province of Pordenone, although the closest larger town is Portogruaro, which belongs to the province of Venice.

The Morsano town hall website is http://www.comune-morsanoaltagliamento.it (I am citing it because it strays from the usual format of Italian townhall websites).

Edited: 22 February 2010, 14:53
niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

Thanks for that ff and for the correction on spelling Morsano.

I think Ken's grandmother just told friends and family she was from Udine as it was probably easier and more recognizable than saying 'I'm from a small town in the province of Pordenone'. Her children say she didn't speak much of her origins-they knew more about their father who came from Treviso.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beumia or Boumia-town in Northern Italy-maybe near Udine?

Indeed when Ken's grandmother was born the province of Pordenone was yet to be created, but I was just trying to give you a precise picture of the current situation, assuming you need precise directions with a view to a visit.

Cheers!

Get answers to your questions about Udine