We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice udine. Train or rental car?

eire
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Venice udine. Train or rental car?

Arriving at marco polo on Thursday 1 night in udine then Venice on Friday & back to marco polo on Saturday. Can't navigate the Italian train site so could someone in the know let me know how much roughly it will cost, how long it will take & should I pay on the day or in advance. Weighing up whether it would be simpler to rent a car. Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

Most of the trains for this journey are slow Regionale trains that take around 2 hours and cost €10.40. There is no advance purchase discount on these trains, and no seat reservations. Buy the tickets in Italy.

You can get train information quite readily at www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

eire
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

Thanks for that nick. Would you recommend car hire then?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

It might be simpler. You could pick up the rental at Marco Polo airport when you arrive, then drop at Piazzale Roma (the end of the road into Venice).

But it would cost more than the train.

Liverpool, England...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

any chance your goin the liverpool match in udine?

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

If you're interested in the city centres, train is most likely your best pick. Costs less, no parking issues, might be even faster.

Things are different if you're reaching places outside city centres (IE Udinese football stadium). In that case, a car rental might be a very good option.

eire
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

Train seems to cost more & take longer. Plane to bus to train etc! Going to udine by car is fine, we also have a hotel booked in Venice on the Friday night, what I need to know is when we drive to Venice do we need to leave our car on the mainland & get a train into our hotel only to collect it to go to marco polo on Saturday. this may influence our decision to rent car or train

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

The bus from the airport to Venezia Mestre where you take the train to Udine costs €6 atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Linea_35_b_-__Mestr… - and it's the same back from Venice to the Airport http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Linea_35_(dal_28.10.12_al_30.03.2013)6189.pdf

The typical train fare from Mestre to Udine is €9.95 (€10.40 back to Venice). On http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html you must use a date this week to see all fares, as tickets for the cheap Regional trains (which have no reserved seats) are NA online more than seven days in advance.

You can park in Venice off Piazzale Roma from around €22 a day depending on season and vehicle size http://www.asmvenezia.it/index_eng.html - Tronchetto will be a little cheaper but is less convenient.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

@dwasol You're right, I have been too assertive on my call. There are 2 additional things to take into account: the number of people of your party, the price of fuel (which is expensive, here in Italy!). If you're traveling alone, than train is going to be cheaper, no matter what. But it's going to become less convenient as the number of people goes up.

Venice has no roads, though. So no matter what's your choice, you'll need to park your car close to the train station, at the places mentioned by @perilizia

If I were you and had a chance, I'd do the possible not to have reaching Venice just to grab my stuff. And opt to sleep in Mestre, Treviso or some other place which is connected by railway. Going to be cheaper and more practical. Just my 2cc.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,498 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

According to http://www.viamichelin.com/ the toll cost between Venice and Udine is €8.50 and the typical fuel cost €14.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice udine. Train or rental car?

Good point, @perilizia. Fuel cost you mention is one way, I shall add.

Get answers to your questions about Udine