We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian riviera

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Italian riviera

We are a family of 4 (two teenages, age 13 and 14) who are going to drive to Northern Italy this summer. We will arrive around 15th of July and stay for about 14 days. At least 1 week we will stay at the same place, no change of hotels, and not use the car.

We want to stay close by a beach, we want a hotel/appartment with pool and air condition, and we want walking distances to a town/villages.

Do somebody have a good destinasion for us?

If there is such a place close to Cinque Terre we would have been very happy.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian riviera

There are hotels of the sort you require in Levanto, the small town on the coast just north of the Cinque Terre, and in Sestri Levante, a larger place a little further along the coast.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian riviera

Thank you for the answer.

It seems like Sestri Levante is the best choice.

Are you that familiar with this place that you can recommand a hotel/appartment (we prefer an appartment), with our requirements, se above.

What about La Spezia or Viareggio? Are these places nice?

How far is it to Portovenere from Sestri Levante? And how far to the first village in Cinque Terre?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian riviera

I don't usually recommend hotels as I don't stay in them myself.

Sestri Levante is about 30 minutes by train from Monterosso, the first Cinque Terre village. See trenitalia.com/en/orari_biglietti/index.htm for precise times in the next 60 days (service will not change much).

Portovenere is at least 1.5 hours from Sestri by train and bus …liguria.it/JourneyPlanner/bin/query.exe/en…

La Spezia is a very pleasant city, but in some ways is more is a commercial and naval centre than a tourist centre. Viareggio is a very different kind of resort to Sestri, on a coastline which is in my opinion less attractive - but it is fashionable and many love it. There is much information about all of these places easily available with a quick search online.

4. Re: Italian riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 05:28