We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach town on the Italian Riveria

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
beach town on the Italian Riveria

I am looking for some infomation on the Italian Riviera. The perfect location would be one of the smaller town's with a large enough hotel to accomodate 6 ladies. The hotel does not need to be on the beach but we would like to have access to a beach. We will be traveling by train, so the town needs to have a train stop. I was originally thinking of a town closer to Monte Carlo but am pretty open to any suggestions, including Cirque Terre. We are ok paying between 100 - 175 eur per night but would really like to stay below 200. Any information would really be appreciated.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach town on the Italian Riveria

Most lively town is Alassio on the western riviera but it's quite far from CT .... I think your budget is enough to find a very good hotel.. also depends on your trip plan ..where you are coming fro and where you are going to..

Ciao

St. Petersburg...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: beach town on the Italian Riveria

My husband and I visited Italy last July. WE traveled the north from Rome, through Tuscany, to Venice. My husband really wanted to see Cinque Terre, so I picked a town south of it, Lerici!! It was by far our favorite, we stayed at the Hotel Florida which was very nice and the family that owns it is lovely. They recommended all the restaurants we ate in and each one was better than the one before!! I cannot wait to go back!!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach town on the Italian Riveria

Take a look at Santa Margherita Ligure. Very nice town with some very nice hotels. We stayed there in 2001 and again last year.

Short train ride to Cinque Terre.

Boston...
Level Contributor
181 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach town on the Italian Riveria

We stayed in Lerici last summer and loved it. It does not have a train stop but can be reached easily by bus from the train station in La Spezia. (You can get to La Spezia by train from Genoa. I believe La Spezia is about fifteen minutes further than the southernmost part of the Cinque Terre.) We stayed at Hotel Florida, which is across the street from a (free) public beach and walking distance from many restaurants and shops. We liked Florida a lot. Lerici, with a bay and rocky promontory, itself is almost as beautiful as the Cinque Terre and a lot less touristy and expensive. Although there were many Italian families visiting for the day and certainly more than a few middle-aged Americans staying for a week or weekend, we liked the fact that it lacked the hordes of drinking college students (our own kids are that age, so we wanted to get away from them) that seemed to take over Monterosso on the Cinque Terre.

portland
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: beach town on the Italian Riveria

Pickles -

We are planning a trip to Italy this late July, and are very seriously considering Lerici, and would like to find out some information from those who have been there:

What is the typical temperature range in summer, late July (F)? I have heard hot, but how hot?

How problematic is it to have a car there? It seemed that because of Lerici's location, a car may be more manageable there than in the 5 Terre. It seemed that it would be desirable having a car for short excursions from Lerici.

What is the dining situation like? If we're considering making a base in Lerici for 4-5 days, are there good dining establishments in town, so that we could dine in Lerici consistently, rather than needing to leave town for an evening meal?

Thanks in advance!