We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach town with teens?

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
best beach town with teens?

Will be in the area for 3 days in August with two 15 yr old boys. Which town would have good beaches and be a fun base to explore from? Reasonable prices for food, lodging. Decent shopping. Prefer more local, low key, less touristy towns. Safe for the boys to be off on their own at times. Will have vehicle.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach town with teens?

In August, low key, reasonable, local and less touristy are adjectives you will have some trouble fulfilling as requirements. It's the high of high season, prices are at a maximum, and everywhere that has a beach will be full of tourists, though at this point in the season, Italian ones.

Check more off the beaten path places on the Riviera - smaller with less options for food and lodging, but maybe you will find some places - like Bonassola, Moneglia, Framura...but if you want some place with more access to trains and such, check out Santa Margherita, Rapallo, Chiavari, Sestri Levante, which are all more like small cities rather then tiny villages. The boys should be fine anywhere, the area is very safe as a whole.

A car, for exploring, is not what I would recommend to use anywhere in the Riviera, especially if you want to come to the Cinque Terre. The train is easier and takes less time, and in August, parking can be a problem.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach town with teens?

Thanks. Very helpful. I am sure I will be back with more questions as I research.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best beach town with teens?

You could also look at places west of Savona, particularly the area around Finale Ligure and Alassio which has very good beaches (though again, very crowded in August and free beach space is sparse, particularly in Alassio).

In this area, Loano and Pietra Ligure may be slightly less crowded as they are slightly less fashionable and interesting, though still very pleasant.

4. Re: best beach town with teens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Italian Riviera