We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

Hi folks ..okay here goes...got my flights booked for may 7th to 15th 2014 ..and i have mailed maybe 6 hotels in Rapallo town for there best deals on prices for our stay..that's me and my partner..We are looking here as i can only presume that logistically the place Rapallo seems ideal for trips to all the surrounding areas to visit.. I know there be a great fish festival in Camogli on the second sunday in may ..and Portofino and Cinque terre are in sight by train or boat ..My question is i am undecided what Hotel to choose for sea views with Balcony ,and which has elegant's ,sophistication and charm.and am i looking in the right place to start .never been to the Liguria region .so i want it to be magical..any suggestions.

Regards Carlo & Maureen.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

The excelsior is very nice, but very pricey...I like the best western quite a bit as well - i've had friends stay there that were quite pleased. If you are looking for elegance and sophistication, I think the excelsior is just a class act. We spent a night in Rapallo and got bumped to a balcony sea view room that was just lovely.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,733 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

Santa Margherita Ligure and Sestri Levante are also well positioned for visiting the area.

It's worth looking at internet hotel booking sites as well as mailing hotels directly.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

I would also second the Excelsior as being top class . Still the best breakfast buffet I have ever encountered. Saying that I would also recommend a room with a sea view in the Continental or Metropole in SML

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

We were very happy based in Sestri Levante the first week in October. It's about halfway between Portofino and the Cinque Terre, much smaller than Rapallo though not tiny, and had a nice non-touristy feel. The Hotel Helvetia was utterly first-class -- balconies, sea views, elegance, sophistication, charm, you name it (even a sun deck on the roof with even more spectacular sea and bay views). The local trains up and down the coast to Rapallo and to the CT are frequent, cheap, and take only 20 minutes or so.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

Thanks all for your comments...I am checking out Sestri Levante right now ..the place looks fabulous ..my only concern is that it is taking me further away form portofino and Camogli and all the other places in that direction but it brings me closer to the cinque terre region...Oh my this is going to be a big dilemma....

I was thinking to dine one evening at Hotel splendido in portofino and propose .. marriage to my partner ...got the ring...just need to put all into action.

I Have looked at Hotel Exselsior .my Problem is i would rather have more money in my pocket to eat out at night . than spend all my money on accommodation .as it is 3 times more expensive than the Astoria in Rapallo.. Am i asking for too much......

regards Carlo..

6. Re: To Rapallo or not to Rapallo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 06:20