We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
*** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

Hello Fellow Travellers,

My partner and I will be travelling to the Italian Riviera for the first time! I am stuck for places in where to stay. We will be in the Italian Riviera for 4 days, travelling on a train from Milan. The dates will be from the 5/7/14 to 8/7/14.

VENTIMIGLIA, RAPALLO, SANTA MARGHERITA LIGURE OR MONTEROSSO?

We are on a slight budget so I typically don't want to spend too much on accommodation (600USD). I did find a nice B&B in Ventimiglia but I am a little concerned that it might be a little far to travel to the Cinque Terre!

In order to get the best experience possible, in terms of picturesque, stunning beaches, tasteful food, buzzing atmosphere and extra-curricular activities, in what town would you recommend in staying?

All recommendations and advice are welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kind Regards,

Rocco

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

Ventimiglia is some 250 km from the Cinque Terre, so it certainly would not be a good base.

I think that probably the best place for you would be Levanto. It is only 5 minutes from Monterosso by train, and it is somewhat larger than other settlements nearby with rather more happening in the evenings.

Villa Mergherita is a very nice hotel in Levanto, but may be a bit above your price range in high season. http://www.villamargherita.net/

Edited: 17 December 2013, 05:27
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

You might also like to look at Sestri Levante http://www.sestri-levante.net/en which has a wide range of accommodation, and is conveniently placed half-way between the Portofino Peninsula and the Cinque Terre, with convenient access to both.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

I highly recommend using Sestri Levante as a base. I spent 6 weeks there this year. However, I only like staying in the small Baia del Silenzio rather than the more modern area. The benefit of the large bay is that accomodations are cheaper and you have a very long stretch of nice beach, however. See TA link below:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g194917-d2…

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

Thank you for your advice. I've decided to stay in a b & b in La Spezia.

Level Contributor
1,272 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

best experience possible, in terms of picturesque, stunning beaches, tasteful food, buzzing atmosphere and extra-curricular activities,

U won't find anything of these in La Spezia :D

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

If I'm not going to find any of these in La Spezia, where do you recommend in staying in order to capture the best possible experience?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

See replies #1 and #2 for suggestions on better places to stay.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

Stay in Levanto or Sestri Levante. La Spezia is a portual city.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

Thanks guys. I've canceled my stay in la spezia and will br staying in sestri levanto. Thanks again For all your advice.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: *** Please Help! Fellow Travellers Advice Wanted! ***

Is that Sestri Levante or Levanto as they are two different places