We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

I will be traveling to Italy at the end of June/first week in July. We have 4 days to spend in either the Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast, but we can't decide which Coast to choose! We want to relax, get some sun, meander through a cute town(s), try some great food and wine, swim, and just take in the view. We've never been to either location - are there any travelers out there who have been to both and can share their recommendation on which one is not to be missed? Thanks so much!!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

I've been to both several times and like them both very much. However, the Amalfi Coast gets my nod. It could be that there are places such as Capri and Pompeii close by also. We end every trip on the Amalfi Coast to relax, enjoy the sea and towns, and catch our breath after running around Italy. The views are fabulous all along the coast. Perhaps take in a concert in Ravello; 1000 feet over the sea.

Sitting on a terrace with a lunch of bread, prosciutto, cheeses, fruit. and wine, the sun shining brightly on the fabulous sea; I think, "Is this really me enjoying this?"

Edited: 23 January 2014, 22:39
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Both regions Amalfi Coast and Italian Riviera ( Liguria Region), are popular attractive and scenic destinations, in parts having a similar coastline.

Staying on the Amalfi coast you have the opportunity for day excursions to Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii Scavi and Naples.

Amalfi coast buses www.sitasudtrasporti.it Click on Orari for Campania bus times Trains Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi and Naples www.www.eavcampania.it Ferries www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com

www.amalficoastweb.com www.capri.net www.sorrentotourism.com www.timeout.com/naples www.pompeiisites.org

Portofino, Santa Margarita Ligure and Cinque Terre are the Liguria popular destinations

Trains to Pisa, Lucca, Florence and Genoa www.trenitalia.com

www.turismoinliguria.it www.incinqueterre.com Coastal ferry www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

I've been to both and personally prefer the Amalfi Coast (well, Positano) and Capri. It's a different landscape -

They are both beautiful - I would suggest reading up more on each, looking at photos, reading some of the threads in the forums here on TA for each destination to help you decide.

www.positano.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

www.capri.net

Your guidebook should also have some info that might be helpful as well.

I have been a number of times to the Ligurian coast but many times to the AC/Capri and will always choose to return there - but, everyone has different tastes.

All of these areas will be very crowded at that time of year - you will not escape crowds at the seaside in those months.

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Yes, everyone is different. You couldn't pay me to go back to the AC/Capri but I've just booked my yearly return to Liguria.

TAB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Where will you be before this leg of your trip? That may influence your choice - if you are further north, then it may be a good choice to go to Liguria - if you are in the south, you could opt for the AC -

As to which "can't be missed" - I think both are very much worth a visit.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Thanks everyone - much appreciated!!! I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Amalfi. If anyone can share more details/insight on the Riviera that would be great! I know it will be crowded, but is it less touristy? Is it as pretty? We'd probably stay in Santa Margherita or Portofino. Or maybe Portovenere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

They are both beautiful areas but different types of landscape - I find photographs to be a good representation of each - if you do some googling of images, you should get a very good idea.

I stayed in a few times in SML and liked it very much and walked over to Portofino a few times (beautiful walk) as well as taking a boat over and back. Portofino is gorgeous but very very tiny and very expensive. I preferred SML - I also stayed in Rapallo, which had a nice old world flavor to it.

Frankly, I don't imagine you getting a definitive answer on this question. Some people will think Liguria is more beautiful than the AC, others will think the opposite.

Some people prefer the AC because there is access (though not the easiest, it does exist) to ancient sites (i.e., Pompei, Herculaneum), a number of islands - Capri, Ischia, Procida.

Bottom line - there is no right or wrong choice; both would be a nice choice, in my opinion. There are also lots of other Ligurian coastal villages from which to choose beside the two you have mentioned - perhaps looking at some of those would give you an idea of more options.

Good luck whichever you choose - And, yes, it will be touristy - you are going in high season.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Thanks again everyone - we decided to do Amalfi Coast... 3 nights in Positano, 1 night in Ravello. We are looking at Buca di Bacco in Positano (though I am a little concerned it doesn't have a pool) and Palazzo Avino in Ravello.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

That hotel is right at the beach - just jump in the sea to swim! If you want a pool AND a hotel right at the beach, you can check Covo dei Saraceni, though I think it may be a tad more pricey - not sure.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italian Riviera or Amalfi Coast?

Thank you! That hotel looks great as well. It looks pretty central so not too far to walk into town. Much appreciated.