We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay in Corniglia in September?

san francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Should I stay in Corniglia in September?

We are going to 5Terre in September and I have actually reserved an apt in Riomaggiore. However, I came across an Airbnb room that looks very appealing and having second thought.

I know there is a bus that runs from the train station to the village center, but also read the bus is not very reliable and stops running after 7pm. Thus i have the following questions:

1. If we miss the last bus, is taxi easy to find at the station? How much is the fare?

2. If we have to climb the steps back up, are the stairs well lit at night?

3. If there a good selections of restaurants in Corniglia?

4. I believe the Corniglia to Vernazza hike is a paid trek. However, I want to take advantage of the 5Terre train card that offers unlimited train rides and paid hike on a full day. Since we are arriving in the early afternoon and thought we can do a late afternoon hike, is there any free and easy trail to take?

5. I have a weak knee so we only intend to do 1 major hike, I read the Corniglia to Vernazza hike is not too difficult, is this correct?

6. Is September still hot? Do we need air-conditioning to get a good night sleep?

7. Lastly, we are coming from Milan which requires a change of train in Levato, But the connection time is only 7 minutes, is this enough time to move from 1 train to another?

Or I should stay put and stay in Riomaggiore?

Thank you very much for your help,

2 replies to this topic
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
322 reviews
1. Re: Should I stay in Corniglia in September?

1.Dont know. We always walk it.

2. Don’t recall. I believe so.

3.Yes.

4. Totally depends on what you think is "easy". I have seen people of all ages and fitness do the various hikes.

5. See above. I have a bad knee also. I have hiked all of the trails for weeks. It is mainly cardio on the way up and knees on the way down. Bring poles as they take a huge amount of stress off the knees on the way down.

6. It can be. We prefer the option of putting on AC and we have it where we stay. We do use it in September.

7. If you miss one train, there will be another soon. The inter village trains are fairly frequent.

Both choices are fine....do what you think will fit your needs best.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Should I stay in Corniglia in September?

With your specific circumstances, I would stay put in Riomaggiore if you have knee problems.

There are no taxis in the Cinque Terre outside of the village of Monterosso.

The stairs are lit, but sometimes here when a light goes out, it takes a while to get fixed:(

I think Corniglia, though a personal favorite of mine, has the worst selection of dining options in the cinque terre.

September can be quite hot - everyone is accustomed differently to air conditioning. Most private homes here do not have it, so we are quite fine without it (many Italians think it can make you sick, especially in the evening), but if you are used to having AC you might find it too hot without.

Reply to: Should I stay in Corniglia in September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre