We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do/eat

Elk Grove...
1 post
What to do/eat

My family and I (all grown up) will be in Cinque Terre next week and are staying in Monterosso for 3 days. What recommendations would you guys give to do/eat while there? We have planned to hikethe trails to all of the cities, but don’t really have much planned after that. Thank you in advance!

3 replies to this topic
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: What to do/eat

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18781…

Brea, Ca.
Level Contributor
321 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: What to do/eat

Plan to get out very early in the day--on the trails by 7 am or earlier! It gets hot and crowded all along the CT, including the trails. Likewise with visiting the towns--by 10:30-11 am we found the villages mobbed until well into the day--things calm down around 4:30-5 pm.

Monterosso has the only significant beach and they are largely set up for rentals of umbrellas and lounges--don't be put off. Plenty to explore and shop in town.

Our best recent discovery in town was Gastronomia San Martino tucked into a back street--very fresh and delicious-casual. Focaccia and pesto is terrific in all the towns.

I must add that after several visits to the CT over 17 years, the addition of cruise ship crowds have now pretty much overwhelmed the area causing a lack of serenity and crowds--we mostly hunkered down during the hot mid-days.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
3. Re: What to do/eat

Thanks for the useful heads up. I will be traveling to CT next month in August, unfortunately during high tourist season. It would be awesome if you can give me some tips on how best to maneuver about?Is it best to start in Monterosso and work my way down to Riomaggiore? Or vice versa? I will be coming from Florence and plan to take the earliest train out. THANK YOU!!

Linda

Reply to: What to do/eat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre