We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler in Monterosso Aug 2018

New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Solo female traveler in Monterosso Aug 2018

I'll be in Florence part of this month and thinking of going to CT for 2-3 nights, especially Monterosso. As a solo female traveler is it unwise to stay in an apartment (I do not speak Italian), or are there enough people around most evenings that it's fairly safe to return home alone? I grew up in NYC so I'm aware of my surroundings at all times, but I want to be comfortable on vacation. Is a hotel worth the price difference?

I'm hoping to do carry on luggage only, but if I have a suitcase, will it be impossible to reach the hotels in CT with a bag?

Lastly, if anyone has recommendations on hiking groups I'd appreciate it. I don't want be part of a huge tour group taking over restaurants and streets, but I would prefer not to hike alone.

Many thanks!

4 replies to this topic
La Spezia, Italy
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Solo female traveler in Monterosso Aug 2018

I wouldn't be worried for safety in CT. There's plenty of people around in this season... since they are all tiny villages you won't find nothing different than lots of tourists like you!

Monterosso has a long sea-promenade and a tunnel that connects the whole village and the train station... Only some neighborhoods are up steep staircases, in general you will be able reach your place quite easily.

Brea, Ca.
Level Contributor
321 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Solo female traveler in Monterosso Aug 2018

Nobody can guarantee your safety but we have never felt uneasy in the CT in several trips over the last 15 years. Aside from the usual late night partiers which are easily avoided, there are few dangers I am aware of and I pay attention. Monterosso is the largest and most "urbanized" but still a small town until the tourists arrive each day only to return to small town in the evenings.

Your accommodation selection will dictate your accessibility and if there are challenges, most places will outline the best options or assist you--not to worry!

BTW--I think your idea of 2-3 nights is a good one--too much trouble to do anything shorter.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Solo female traveler in Monterosso Aug 2018

I'm a female local and I go home most evenings quite late by myself on foot and have never felt unsafe - maybe a few times you get annoyed by drunk american tourists making loud noise in the evening, but it is a very, very safe and very, very small town - we are only 600 year round residents. The biggest problem now is petty crime, bikes getting stolen, pickpockets, that sort of thing.

There are stairs everywhere in the cinque terre, that is unavoidable. it is completely doble with a bag, but just be prepared to bring it up and down (sometimes many) flights of stairs.

you can look at the events calendar in the tourist office when you get here, they usually have guided hikes a few times a week in the tourist season, but even if you decide not to go with them, you'l never be hiking "alone" if you come from May-September - august is the busiest time of year, you might find the trails actually quite crowded.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
322 reviews
4. Re: Solo female traveler in Monterosso Aug 2018

It will likely feel as close to 100% safe as you have ever felt, probably. Also, as mentioned there are other people on the trails but, if you feel unsafe, just don’t do as many of the higher ones. But there are huge numbers of trails where they aren’t horribly crowded but there are still enough people that you can feel safe. A hiking group would be horrific, in my opinion, as they are always the bottlenecks on the trails. But, as always, those folks really enjoy being in the groups so my opinion is irrelevant.

The villages themselves are, essentially, mini urban areas so, even though the numbers aren’t great, there are always people nearby.

Reply to: Solo female traveler in Monterosso Aug 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre