We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

Hello all, is it safe to walk the trails after dark? I am asking In terms of enough lighting etc. only, not about crime...

7 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,975 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

I've only ever been there during the daytime but I don't remember seeing any lighting, I can't imagine it would be safe unless you were a mountain goat with incredible balance and didn't need to see where you were going.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

It’s probably the LEAST safe thing you could do in the cinque Terre. The trails are completely unsuitable at night. They are not lit, there are no guardrails.

Last year a young man lost his life on a trail at night, he fell off. Do not even think about hiking at night.

Israel
Level Contributor
185 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

I don't recommend at all.

London
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
153 reviews
4. Re: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

Apart from safety, why on earth would you want to walk when you cannot enjoy the scenery?

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

I was wondering just in case we wanted to stay a little longer in Manarola and walk back to Riomaggiore and there is no train available....Well, never been to CT before so base on your answers, I guess walking the trails at night is a NO-NO.... Looking forward to visiting CT.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
322 reviews
6. Re: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

It’s an interesting thought.....and I have certainly never considered hiking at night. As others have said, nothing is lit and there are perilous drops. If it was a clear, full moon, I can see going up a little ways through one of the trails but to do it because you have to get to the next village would be silly. Going down would be worse than up and I can see a twisted ankle, or worse, happening. Check out the train schedule or get a taxi.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,850 posts
7. Re: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?

Last train from Manarola to Riomaggiore is 00.37 tonight. Surely not too early for you?

If the Via dell'Amore were open, it might have been just about feasible at night, with a good surface and handrails. But as it isn't and you now have to use inland paths with massive climbs up and down, it certainly wouldn't be safe. Unless you walked along the road, just as demanding in height and an even greater distance, but with much less risk of twisted ankles or falls. A three-minute train journey would be almost infinitely easier.

Reply to: Is it safe at night to walk the trails?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre