We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

All of the guidebooks we've found hardly mention Cinque Terre... are there any for this area specifically or have better coverage than a few pages of high level info?

Thanx

California
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

The Rick Steves books have the most extensive coverage of the Cinque Terre by far. Vernazza is clearly his favorite of the 5 towns (mine as well) but a word of advice in terms of finding accomodations. Ricks books still state that it is easy to show up on the spot, walk around and find a room. This is not always the case...and becoming less true as the popularity in this magical area increases. I was there in June...and the entire town was booked over a weekend, in fact because it was an Italian holiday, rooms could not be found in any of the CT villages. I have several friends there who rent rooms and they say this is becoming more common. Plan ahead if you are going during the peak seasons...or take your chances....but what a shame it is to waste hours trying to find a place to stay, when there is so much beauty to absorb.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

try this : www.5terre.com

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

I think one of the reasons many travel books don't devote a lot of space to the Cinque Terre is that there is not much there in the way of typical "attractions" like museums, galleries, churches, etc. The beauty of the Cinque Terre is in the area itself. You'd be best to spend your days there simply hiking between the villages along the hiking trails, taking in the beautiful sights and smells, maybe hitting the beach and strolling around the quaint little villages. In La Spezia and each of the CT towns (at the train stations), you can visit the national park offices (where you can get your CT cards for access to trains and trails) and pick up some local information, maps, train and boat schedules, etc.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

I second Rick Steves. His Italy had 30 pages on the CT vs. Lonely Planet's 3.

Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

Thank you for your help... we'll pick up the Rick Steves Italy then... and just go from there. We've already printed out several helpful pages found elsewhere on the internet (including www.5terre.com, thanx!) so we should be set.

And thanx for the tip Buonviaggio, and not to worry, we've got ourselves booked in a recommended hotel, in Levanto.

Thanx again!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best guidebook - Cinque Terre?

Could you tell me the Hotel that was recommended to you in Levanto, as Im not finding much on the area.

Thanks