We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which direction to hike?

Boston
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which direction to hike?

I wonder if anyone can comment on which is the easier direction to hike the CT? Are there differences in view? Or hills/steep terrain? A editorial comment on a video on the CT webpage (cinqueterre.com) says they should have hiked Corniglia to Monterosso when they did the opposite - does anyone know why?

Mentioned in this post
Corniglia
Corniglia
Cinque Terre, Italy
Monterosso Al Mare
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which direction to hike?

Yes, i suggest you to hike from Riomaggiore to Monterosso because is easier.

If you begin from Monterosso the beginning is very hard( many many steps)

Mentioned in this post
Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which direction to hike?

Hi

We spent last weekend (March 14/15) in the Cinque Terre and it was delightful.

However, be warned - the coastal paths between Vernazza and Monterosso, and between Manarola and Corniglia were closed, due to a collapse of the path. I don't know how long for but it didn't look as if they would be fixed all that quickly - the sign at the Manarola end had a rather permanent look about it. Perhaps someone with local knowledge could tell us if/when it will be fixed.

This was very poorly indicated in the tourist offices - the information wasn't volunteered, though when we looked later there was a small sign, and we got off the train at Corniglia to walk back to Manarola, only to find the path closed and an hour and a half wait till the next train! It was fine, we climbed the innumerable steps to Corniglia and enjoyed ourselves. But we weren't the only ones though - we passed a good number of other disappointed walkers having to turn back.

I don't know when you're planning to go, but perhaps worth a call to the tourist office beforehand to check.

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
Cinque Terre, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Corniglia
Corniglia
Cinque Terre, Italy
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which direction to hike?

We walked the CT last weekend (March 22). The sign said Vernazzo to Corneglia was closed, but we saw people coming the other way who told us the blockage was minor, so we went anyway. People were taking even small children safely across the landslide area--it was no big deal. Manarola to Corneglia was officially open. I suspect by now it's all officially open.

We hiked west to east. It's a question of whether you want to go up steep steps at the beginning or go down steep steps at the end.

Mentioned in this post
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which direction to hike?

Sounds like we chose the wrong weekend to go!! We'll have to go back in the autumn and have another try.

Northern California
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which direction to hike?

Which town should we start the hike so that we are going down the stairs instead of up? I thought it was Monterosso to Riomaggiore - is this correct?

Mentioned in this post
Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre, Italy
Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
949 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which direction to hike?

The 700 steps are DOWN to Monterosso, might feel hard on you knees if untrained.

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
949 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which direction to hike?

The steps mentioned are on trail #2, the one 'everyone' walks. would suggest the inland trails instead, at least for part of the trip, will take a little longer, have not seen any comments on these.

8. Re: Which direction to hike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 05:23