We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time in la cinque terre

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Time in la cinque terre

My wife and I who are in our early 60's will be travelling around the lakes for about 2 weeks in July and also have booked in 3 nights ie 2.5 days staying at Santa Margherita Ligure. We have set aside one day to see Portofino and 1 day for LCT. Some have said that the 1 day for LST is insufficient. We thought of training ealy in the morning to one of the ports and then doing the walk (all or some). Please give us some highlights or ideas of what to see

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time in la cinque terre

Listen to those "Some." In March, we had 3 nights in CT (Riomaggiore) and they were not enough. In July, it will be uncomfortably hot in the middle of the day, so it would be best to be able to start your walk soon after you wake up, and the evening will also be delightful.

Forget the notion of "highlights" and "what to see." It's all a highlight and all of it is what to see. In other words, it's more an experience than a destination. You simply walk along the path from village to village burning up your camera every time you round a corner. The villages have their own personalities and each deserves some time for savoring.

CT will definitely be one of my favorite "rocking chair memories."

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time in la cinque terre

Thanks MsNomer for your advice. I realise more time in any place is always worthwhile but unfortunately coming from Australia ( a long way away) we are trying to see as much as possible in the available time. I was hoping for a bit more in concrete advice. we are also spending 3 nights in Milan, 2 nights in Ascona and 2 nights in Menaggio apart from spending a week in Paris (it's my wife's 60th birthday). We are travelling north Italy by car.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time in la cinque terre

I completely get where you are coming from, but I agree with the other responder that you should consider spending more than a day there.

We are planning our first trip to Italy and were trying to pack in as much as possible in 2 weeks as well. (coming from the U.S.) However, every single one of our friends who has been there strongly encouraged us to slow down a bit because that is what Italy is all about. From everything I have read, there is a lot to do and see on in the beautiful Cinque Terre and one day seems painfully short. So you if there is any way at all you can add one more day to your time in the Cinque Terre, I recommend it. Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time in la cinque terre

Oh well! thanks for the advice from both of the reponders. Guess I will just have to wing it and maximise the viewing pleasure in the available time. I am very reluctant to cut out any places. But, thanks for the input anyway

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time in la cinque terre

Muizies

we visited 5T several years ago, staying nearby and going in once by train and once by boat. It is a very pretty series of five villages, four of which have a harbour or beach. The towns are connected by train and boats and also by the walkways, some of which are more difficult than others, some of which I have seen people walking and pushing a pram (ie not very difficult). In the sun it is hot but hey, you don't have to walk it all, you can do a bit here and there, catch a train to the next one and so on.

What are the highlights? 5 pretty villages, walking paths and some stunning views. That is basically it. I believe there are some exceptional views on the high walks but we didn't do that. For me the main highlight was sitting on the square at Vernazza at a restaurant called Il Gambero Rosso, eating mussels and drinking white wine, watching the boats bob in the harbour and listening to a strolling trio play Italian music.

nickbooth.id.au/Images/5_terre_Vernazza.jpg

nickbooth.id.au/Images/5_terre_vernazza_2.jpg

Each town is a little different. Monterosso, in particular, has some beaches that the others lack, but not beach as we know it.These are mostly private, you pay to hire an umbrella, the sand is grey and the water is flat. I wouldn't be going for the beach scene.

nickbooth.id.au/Images/5_terre_umbrellas_Mon…

So one day is good if you have to be somewhere else after that.

florence, Italy
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time in la cinque terre

Just an idea. if u don't want to cut anything out, take the boat trip from Portofino to 5Terre. It's the best way to see the villages and i think they make a stop in 2 or 3 towns so you can get off. No trains, no driving, just relax! You can probably find brochures at yr hotel in S. Marg. or ask at the dock when you get to Portofino. I found a website but in Italian www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time in la cinque terre

Ah, good. Thanks very much. Makes me feel somewhat a little easier. Roll on holiday!

8. Re: Time in la cinque terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 04:17