We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 25-May 1 holiday crowds

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
April 25-May 1 holiday crowds

I understand April 25 is Liberation day and May 1 is Labor Day in Italy. I heard from another traveler that the whole last week in April is a "holiday" for Italians, so to avoid Rome, the CT, and places like that because they'll be crowded and lines will be long. Is that true? If so, is it mainly crowded on the weekends (since 2010 Liberation Day and Labor day fall on weekends) or mid-week, as well?

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 25-May 1 holiday crowds

The Cinque is busy from mid April on so the mid week period if staying 3/4 days is always going to be slightly less.....let alone the Italian holidays

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 25-May 1 holiday crowds

I went on Liberation day last year, hoping it would not be as bad as people say but it was really really crowded. I would never go again on the 25th. The whole time period was crowded but the 25th was by far the worst. Mid-week should be better. Definitely less crowded than if you are there in August or at the beginning of September. I would avoid the 25th and the 1st of May but would brave the mid-week that time of the year.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 25-May 1 holiday crowds

We are headed to Italy in March. Understand that hotels in Cinque Terre may not open at that time. Any information on the timing issue of mid or late March.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April 25-May 1 holiday crowds

We were in Tuscany April 2-May1st this year, headed to Venice on May 1st. Tuscany was not bad at all, Venice however was insane, arriving on a Friday of a 3 day weekend is not good. I think the crazy busy time won't start until closer to that Friday.

5. Re: April 25-May 1 holiday crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 05:17