We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best month to visit

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
best month to visit

I'm hoping to visit the Cinque Terre next year for a few days. I plan to do a couple of the walks from one town to the next and maybe go on a boat trip to another town nearby. I want it to be warm enough to wear shorts but don't want to be too uncomfortable either. Would travelling in May be a good idea since it's not peaked the high Summer temperatures ? Also I don't want it to be too crowded so I would miss out July and August anyway. If I booked as little as maybe 6 weeks in advance , would I still be able to find good basic accomodation ?

any ideas would be most welcome

Nicola

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best month to visit

May-early June would be perfect - Nice weather, fewer crowds, long hours of daylight.....

Book as soon as you have your dates!

Vagabonda

Italy
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best month to visit

I love May here. In June the "onslaught" of people begins. September is also nice as the water/air is still warm, but the crowds have dies down (some). Keep in mind, that the villages have limited space, so anytime between May 1-September 30, you are going to experience some crowds, sometimes. For a little more breathing room, you may consider Lerici, Levanto or Portovenere as your base.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best month to visit

I love May too – The seas are warmer in September, but the weather is better in May, and the hours of daylight longer.

Adorable Tellaro is also a Cinque Terre-like village and another possibility!

trekearth.com/gallery/…

http://www.tellaro.net/foto.asp?ID=11

Vagabonda

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best month to visit

We are staying in Lucca at the moment, and did a day trip to Cinque Terre yesterday (30 October). We walked from Riomaggiore to Vernazza. It was perfect: warm sunshine, and stunning views along the coast. There were plenty of people around on the paths and in the villages, but i suspect it was quiet compared with the summer.

It gets dark about 5.00 p.m., but in every other way October feels like a very good time to be here.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best month to visit

Congrats Dhmellor – Success with your much anticipated day trip to the Cinque Terre!

The weather was good this week, but autumn often brings rain, and with the rain, mudslides, and sometimes trails close.

The number of tourists at this time of year is minimal to the hoards of tourists who visit in summer.

Hope you also enjoy treks throughout the Lunigiana and the Garfagnana.

Kind Regards,

Vagabonda

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best month to visit

Hi Vagabonda, and many thanks for your earlier advice. Cinque Terre did not disappoint. But if that was 'minimal' visitors, then I'm glad we weren't there in the summer! And contrary to some advice, it's a perfectly practical day trip from Lucca or Pisa. The villages are closer together than I expected - it was only about four hours easy walk from Riomaggiore to Vernazza.

Don't know whether we'll make it to the Garfagna as well - we are under the spell of Lucca, and there is so much to do and see in this beautiful place. And we can't get anough of cycling round the walls during the day, and through the quiet streets in the evening. Magical!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,071 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best month to visit

Dotry and make it to the Garfagna so unspoilt, the Northern areas of Tuscany are so different to the South which although beautiful is touristy,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best month to visit

Hi Dhmellor,

The Cinque Terre most certainly is a practical day trip from Lucca.

The hordes of tourists that visit in summer are unbelievable, straining services and jeopardizing the trails.

The Cinque Terre villages are very close – The entire length of the Cinque Terre trails is 11 km/7 miles - If you’re in reasonably good shape the entire distance from Riomaggiore to Monterosso should take 4+ hours.

The higher paths would be less crowded, even in summer.

parconazionale5terre.it/…

There are also trails from Riomaggiore to Portovenere and Monterosso to Levanto. The trail from Portovenere to Riomaggiore would take 5+ hours, and Levanto to Monterosso would take 2,5 hours. These trails would be significantly less crowded.

sophie8 is correct - The Garfagnana region is a beautiful and pristine mountainous area that has many good hiking trails.

welcometuscany.it/tuscany/lucca/garfagnana

welcometuscany.it/tuscany/…castelnuovo.htm

There's also the Lunigiana and the Parco Naturale Regionale di Montemarcello-Magra.

parks.it/parco.montemarcello.magra/Eindex.ht…

There are never enough days to a holiday – I suspect you might return!

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best month to visit

Yeah, I was there about 10 days ago and it was pretty rainy and all trails but the via dell'amore were closed (didn't matter to me personally as I had no plans to do the other trails). It didn't much hamper our visit because of what we had planned, but those who came to hike were disappointed. I wouldn't go in the winter as it seemed most places closed down for extended periods. In one restaurant, the owner was saying they close from December to February for vacation and renovations to the place.

I, too, cannot imagine Cinque Terre during the summer. The touristyness in October was almost too much to handle in Vernazza and Monterosso, can't imagine it in July or August.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best month to visit

Summers are very, very crowded, and I continuously warn that autumn brings the rainy season in Northern Italy and the risk of closures on the trails – You could always visit the towns, but it’s not quite the same as trekking from town to town, and the ferries also stop running. May is perfect - Long hours of daylight, glorious weather, fewer crowds.....

Vagabonda

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre