We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

Clermont, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

I am planning a trip to Cinque Terre, but I do not know when is the best time of the year to go?. I do not like crowded places or dead places. I was thinking to go on April (first week).

I do not want to spend a fortune if I go in a peak season.

I was wondering if some locals or experience travelers could help me?.

Thanks, Adolfo

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

Since Rick Steves started recommending the Cinque Terre, crowds have followed. These are mostly day trippers and spending a night or two will give you a better picture of these villages. April is the beginning of the season and the ferries may have started running by then. The 2011 schedule is not out yet. You can keep looking at: www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/orario.asp…

Monterosso is the largest village and will offer the most evening activities although good restaurants are located in each of the villages and the connecting trains run late.

The National Park site will give you lots of information about the hiking trails. The CT is best seen when the weather is nice because most of the available activities are outdoors. Is it impossible to know what the weather will be in advance so you might want to be flexible in your plans.

www.parconazionale5terre.it/?id_lingue=2

There is a range of accommodations available from hotels to rented rooms. There should be something in your budget.

TAB

Clermont, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

What about May?.thanks, Adolfo

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

What do you want to know about May?

TAB

Clermont, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

Is may a peak season or dead?

I know is impossible to predict day by day weather, but in general is this month a rainy month?.

I don't want to cross the Atlantic and find everything closed.

I never been there so I'm trying to take my wife there .

Thanks, Adolfo

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

Peak season would be June-August with September still being busy. Hotels and restaurants will start opening in March and by Easter (late April this year) everything should be open.

You can check weather sites for historical data but that may not help you on the day. Weather has been usual lately.

TAB

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

I was there in June once - and thought it was terrific. I was there most recently in July and the crowds were thicker in the daytime but thin out at night - as mentioned previously. I have often found June to be a good month to go to Italy. It is warm - but not too hot, there are people about but not too crowded and most things (if not everything) is open. Unfortunately I cannot always go in June because school for the kids does not let out until the end of the month

cintiac
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

I will be traveling with my mother, son and friends, where will you recomend me to stay for couple days?

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

All of the villages have their own brand of charm. Corniglia has the least convenient access to the train as it is up on the cliffs and not at sea level. I prefer to stay in Vernazza or Manarola. Monterosso is the largest and has more restaurants and accommodations.

TAB

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

Sadly Tab is right these day's the Cinque Terre is a Tourist trap

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best time of the year to first visit to Cinque Terre, Italy.

Tab said:

<<<Since Rick Steves started recommending the Cinque Terre, crowds have followed. These are mostly day trippers and spending a night or two will give you a better picture of these villages.>>>

Yup, Tab's advice is good.

but as said, most of the groups following the little flags on sticks are out of the towns by about 4pm. Totally different atmosphere in the towns after that time, and ditto after the last ferries leave for the day.

Rick Steves, tourists, or not........it's still a magical area to visit.

tptr