We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking trails are still closed

USA
Level Contributor
879 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking trails are still closed

Hiking trails are still closed and they don't have any idea when they will be open. We were just there. A small portion is open, but the rest is closed. Other trails are open, but not the trail with the coastal view from town to town. I question the ethics of violating the closed trail signs in terms of creating more trail damage as some suggest.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 16:33
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

Hi etravel_10,

thanks for the information! Do you think it's still worth visiting the villages via train? I had all the intention of going to Cinque Terre and hike between the villages, but now I am not so sure....

How are the views from the individual villages?

Thanks!!

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
588 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

I've been to the CT before and saw all of the villages via ferry boat. It did not take away from the beauty of each village nor the views once there because we didn't hike in between them. Actually, the view of the coast from the water is outstanding so might make up for you not hiking between villages.

I will be in the CT the first week of May and I really wanted to do the trails too..but it doesn't change my mind about going, it's still gorgeous.

Enjoy.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

thank you so much FLDoyle.

Another question, where do you suggest I stay? I was debating between Levanto, or perhaps the hostels within the villages?

Are there ferry shuttles between villages?

Thanks! :)

USA
Level Contributor
879 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

Yes, it's still very pretty and I am glad I went. You may not want to stay as long, though. You can hike on trails that don't have the view of the trail overlooking the water. The people at the train station can give you a map of the trails that are open. It's just the main trails that people go there for aren't open.

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
588 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

Hi bright. Well, I am going back now to CT in about a week and this time I am staying in one of the villages (Monterosso). I have heard in the past 10 years it has changed a bit and now quite overrun with tourists but...I still want to experience staying in the villages as opposed to outside.

That being said, I stayed in the town of Lerici when I went before and it was a lovely, lovely beach town that's outside the swarms of people in the CT. I stayed at a hotel called Hotel Florida that was right on the ocean and still there today. We took the ferry over in the morning and used that as a means to get from village to village throughout the day. They run all day long so it was pretty easy to get to all five villages using the ferry.

I'm looking forward to going back...crowds or not and since the trails are closed (most of them) I'll just use the ferry system again, it worked.

Enjoy.

Prairie Grove...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

FLDoyle-I know your trip will be fantastic -we are going for the first time in mid-June. I look forward to hearing your first hand report on the trail closure status and your impressions on any impact it might have. Best wishes for a wonderful trip.

10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

We are planning on being in the CT region for a few days at the end of May. What do you think...should we pre-book our hotel/b&b? or will we be OK booking as we go?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,005 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

Absolutely pre-book; the villages are small so there aren't a great many places to stay and with the internet, places get booked up far in advance for high season.

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
588 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

I say pre-book as well. When I started looking for places to book for my upcoming stay, I looked months in advance and had several rejections on places I looked into because they were already booked.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking trails are still closed

There is a walk trail between Monterosso and Levanto as well as trails heading up the mountain from Monterosso. In fact there are lots of other trails apart from the blue route if you want to do some hiking. Otherwise there's heaps to do just wandering around the villages, shopping, eating, drinking, swimming off the rocks and it is easy to fill in 3 days. I can recommend the Albergo Marina in Monterosso if looking for a place to stay in CT. I have also stayed in Levanto which is a lovely village with a nice beach.