We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with trains, suggestions for lodging

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
help with trains, suggestions for lodging

Hi!

I'm traveling to Lugano, Switzerland for a conference and plan to make my way to CT afterwards. What recommended train(s) should I take? Will I need to stop/transfer in Genoa? I'm available to depart Lugano anytime in the evening on Saturday, June 4. Also, I have a departing flight back to the states bright and early o Tuesday, June 7 (7:45am) will I be okay staying Monday night in CT or should I plan to leave Monday night and stay in Genoa? Finally, any recommendations for lodging? I'm on a budget, but looking for someplace I can leave my bag while I go hiking between the towns. Also, not sure if there's a town with more frequent trains, etc. to make the coming and going part easier. Any and all thoughts would be most helpful as this is my first time traveling solo abroad. So excited, but also so nervous!

Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.70*
Cinque Terre Tour from Florence
694 reviews
from US$113.70*
Cinque Terre Day Trip from Florence
49 reviews
from US$120.00*
Special Offer
Cinque Terre Semi-Private Day Trip...
1,021 reviews
from US$175.60*
US$213.50
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with trains, suggestions for lodging

Switzerland - Italy by rail, probably look here

bahn.com

re your flight June 7............you really should stay in Genoa (the night before,) if that's where you'll be departing.

Housing in C-T: lots of postings at present regarding difficulty finding housing

locals: is there left luggage in Monterosso?

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with trains, suggestions for lodging

Also regarding housing:

If it's currently that tight regarding C-T housing, I'll bet you could stay in Levanto, or Sestri and take the train (short hop) in for your hiking. The ride is neither long, nor far.

3. Re: help with trains, suggestions for lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 04:18