We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

??? Mudslides

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
??? Mudslides

My niece who is currenty staying in Italy says we may want to cancel our reservations for CT in March because they are experiencing mudslides. Can canyone verify if this is the case and if so, is it affecting all of the villages or only some of them? How would I find out for sure what's happening real time?

I am a bit anxious about this as we are heading to Italy in 3 weeks and have plans to spend 3 days in the CT area.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
United States
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ??? Mudslides

Mudslides can happen at any time depending on the weather. I have not heard of any significant slides since the ones in October that damaged only two villages, Monterosso and Vernazza. Monterosso is now open for the most part and Vernazza will take more time.

Hopefully cm28 will see this post and give you a current status of the weather and conditions in Monterosso. The Save Vernazza people have a new page on their site that gives expected opening times.

http://savevernazza.com/traveladvisor/

TAB

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,065 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ??? Mudslides

Please scroll down, there are tons of other posts related to this topic - it's probably the number 1 asked thing in this forum right now - but don't worry, you have nothing to be anxious about!

Your niece is half-mistaken. There WAS a mudslide/flood October 25th which heavily damaged part of Monterosso and the town of Vernazza. Riomaggiore, Corniglia and Manarola were completely unaffected. The past several months have shown an incredible recovery effort and a staggering amount of support from the international community (to which we are all so thankful for) and Monterosso and Vernazza are rebuilding quickly, and will be ready for tourist season this year.

Most of Monterosso will be recovered by early April, but the town is more or less fine now. Residents are resuming lives as normal, restaurants, bars, shops are all slowly starting to open after rebuilding and also the winter season, when many things close. Vernazza is also trickling back to life, and they anticipate opening up by May, but there are also restaurants open now. You can check savevernazza.com and www.rebuildmonterosso.com for more specific details such as opening dates for restaurants, photos and information about the disaster and recovery - what's happening "real time".

Don't cancel your reservation, and there are no current mudslides - it's totally safe and just as beautiful as it was, it's just taking some time to get back to that point, but everyone is stubborn and working hard. Also, please remember that 3 of the Cinque Terre were unaffected, so that is still unchanged if you are still nervous about Vernazza and Monterosso. If you have any questions, also, please feel free to message me - I live in Monterosso.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 16:10
Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,065 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre, Italy
Corniglia
Corniglia
Cinque Terre, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ??? Mudslides

Thanks tabarrett! Looks like we were responding at the same time to this -

weather wise - it's been insanely cold and we had snow (!!!!) for the first time in forever, which was beautiful and fun for kids and adults - but again, no more mudslides.

We're working on a list of reopening times for Monterosso which will be up on www.rebuildmonterosso.com in a few days, but I can tell you that even right now, we have 4 or 5 bars open, the butcher, 3 markets, several restaurants, and so forth.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ??? Mudslides

Thank you all for your info. I feel much better about our visit in March.

United States
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ??? Mudslides

cm28,

Glad you were able to fill in more current info. I saw some photos of the snow and it's always prettier when you don't have to shovel it.

TAB

Edited: 13 February 2012, 17:40
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ??? Mudslides

Hi there we are going at the end of April to ct. Very interested in how you have found conditions, many thanks

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ??? Mudslides

Maxnkaren, please scroll up, your question is answered in more detail. Manarola, Corniglia and Riomaggiore are totally fine, Monterosso is expected to be back to normal by Easter, which is mid-April, and Vernazza is reopening bit by bit, but most will be open by May - however, in both Monterosso and Vernazza, things are opening now, and there is a good chance of places opening ahead of their anticipated time, so it's best to contact hotels, etc. directly to find out their plans.

Mentioned in this post
Corniglia
Corniglia
Cinque Terre, Italy
Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre, Italy
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,065 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
8. Re: ??? Mudslides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:15