We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cinque terre to venice

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
cinque terre to venice

hello! i have never used an italian train before much less a regional train with transfers.

i will be leaving from riomaggiore and would like to get to venice in the most efficient way. i don't mind waking up early.

7:27 7:34 riomaggiore- la spezia

5 min connecting time 7:39 8:51 la spezia- pisa

20 min connecting time 9:11 10am pisa-florence

25 mins connecting time 10:25 12:33 florence- venice

i am worried about the 5 min connecting time at the la spezia train station. i just assumed that la spezia isn't very big and doesn't have a lot of different platforms.is this doable or is the schedule too tight?

if i will get REALLY stressed then my other option is:

8:56 10:38 riomaggiore-pisa

30 mins connecting time 11:11 12 pisa-florence

25 mins connecting time 12:25 2:33 florence- venice

Edited: 24 February 2012, 14:41
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,782 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cinque terre to venice

Go for the 8.56 departure. Trains can easily arrive five minutes late. And if you miss your booked train at Florence, you have to re-arrange your reservation onto the following train. With a Base ticket, you have one hour after the departure of your booked train in which to do this.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cinque terre to venice

Alternatively, take the Regionale train leaving westbound at 10.14, Change at Levanto onto an InterCity leaving at 10.40 for Milan, and change there to a Frecce for Venice leaving at 13.07.

Only 2 changes, and you have reserved seats from Levanto to Venice.

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
569 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cinque terre to venice

Hi papemelroti,

As I understand it, the trains you would be traveling on from Riomaggiore to Florence are regional trains, thus don't require reservations. So perhaps you could buy a ticket for that portion and try to make your first option, arriving in Florence at 10AM. If all goes well, you would have 25 minutes to buy a ticket for the 10:25 train to Venice. If there are delays along the way, you could buy a ticket in Florence for the next available train, as they appear to be fairly frequent.

The others that have responded are big-time experts, which I definitely am not! I have been studying many train options for our upcoming May trip, so hopefully the experts will critique my suggestion if my understanding is faulty, and we will both be the wiser!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,782 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cinque terre to venice

Sydenynick's suggestion is a good one.

Leucadian is also correct. But your train into Florence could also arrive late, and to buy a ticket in the time frame without stress you might well need to use a ticket machine rather than the booking office. If you are comfortable with this, then no problem.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cinque terre to venice

are italian trains always late? i was planning on buying a mini fare ticket from florence to venice to save on money

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cinque terre to venice

They are not always late but they can be. I would either take the later trains with the better connection times or not buy the mini fare and risk losing the money if the regionals are running late.

Donna

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cinque terre to venice

Also, to respond to your first post, La Spezia's train station isn't huge, but it's larger then others in the area. The train station has about 4 platforms, which can be tricky to navigate if you have luggage, as their elevator is fickle at best - 5 minutes would not be enough time - it never is for me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cinque terre to venice

@ cm28- thank you. i won't be doing the tighter schedule anymore.

@donna- isn't 25 minutes connecting time in florence enough for the florence- venice train even if the train becomes a bit late?with a bit of research i chanced upon a mini fare for florence to ct for 29 euros only. the original base fare is 43 euros

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cinque terre to venice

can anyone comment on the 2nd train schedule? is it ok if i purchase the mini fare online with a 25 minute connecting time in florence?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cinque terre to venice

You will have no trouble at all with a 25 minute connection in Florence.