We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque terre

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Cinque terre

If one is looking to stay in the cinque terre - do any of the towns have an advantage over the others or does it not matter which town you stay in.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque terre

It depends, really, on what you are looking for, and this season, when you are coming. Monterosso is the biggest, with the most beach-town like feel (and the most real beaches). There are more train connections to other places if you are planning on daytripping for much of you time here. Vernazza is considered the most typical and charming of the Cinque Terre, but after the food in October, will not be ready for tourists until April or so - you can check opening dates on their website, savevernazza.com (also, for Monterosso, on www.rebuildmonterosso.com). Corniglia is the most dramatic, set up some 38o something stairs over the beach, which can make for quieter hotels and restaurants, but a little bit more of a workout getting around. Also, the ferry, one of the most picturesque ways to see the Cinque Terre, does not stop at this town, but stops at all the others. Manarola is tiny and charming, and on the other end of the Via Dell'Amore sits Riomaggiore, a bit bigger with houses that kind of lean into each other over the water. There is more to do here, but without the beach scene of Monterosso.

All are great choices, but, again, it just really depends on what you are looking for.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque terre

Hi cm28, I have 1 night to spend in cinque terre on 29 March, I will be travelling from Florence on my way to Rapallo by train...I was thinking of staying in Manarola it looks so pretty but am basing my decision on photos alone, so I would welcome your suggestions ... a day of walking around exploring a pretty place, a nice place for lunch and dinner and then off to the station the next morning....its not beach weather so am looking for an interesting village or town to spend a lazy day. Thanks in advance.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque terre

Manarola is a great choice then. All of the towns are pretty, and Manarola is tiny and beautiful. And I always feel like if you see a picture and it sticks in your head for whatever reason, go there :)

There isn't a huge amount to see there, but the other towns are quite close (minutes) by train, and you can easily spend a day just roaming around the other towns of the Cinque Terre. Keep in mind, though, that construction will still be very actively going on in Vernazza and parts of the Old Town of Monterosso as the two towns ready themselves to reopen after the flood, but this doesn't impact Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore in any way, and most of Monterosso is open and fine too.

Enjoy!

4. Re: Cinque terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre