We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre or Venice?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Topic
Cinque Terre or Venice?

Hello!

My husband and I are planning a Italy trip at the end of May. We weren't planning on going to Cinque Terre as I thought it wasn't going to be rebuilt in time, but from the sound of it, it seems like it has come a long way and are welcoming the traffic from travelers....

That being said, we were going to spend out last few days in Italy in Venice coming from Florence, but now I am thinking that we want to go to Cinque Terre. We only have a limited amount of time, so I think it has to be either Venice or Cinque Terre...

any thoughts?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

I was last month in both Venice and Cinque Terre

Both are beautiful to spend a few days. I depends on what interest you more, but in my opinion if you have never been to Venice, this town is unique and is something to be seen at least once in a life time. I was fascinated by this city (But of course, this is my personal feeling)

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

If this is your first visit definately Venice. A unique place and although plenty of tourists not so many per Km as the CT villages. They are very small and not unique being just a group of old style fishing villages. You will also probably have some difficulty finding accommodation at this late stage for a room with no real facilities and more pricey than Venice.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 18:22
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

Thank you so much for the insight!

I have actually been to Venice (about 10 years ago) but my husband has not. I also couldn't imagine him not seeing Venice as it is so unique, but other people and friends have said that other beside it being on water, there is nothing to do/see.

Eating, drinking, shopping for local items, and people watching is what we like to do most when traveling.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

Now I've heard it all! Nothing to do in Venice!!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

I would choose Venice without a doubt! I enjoyed my visit in Cinque Terre (we stayed in Vernazza for 3 nights) but since I'm not a hiker it was a very relaxed few days to just enjoy the scenery and great food. Anyone who believes there is nothing to do in Venice has done absolutely no research and probably just saw St. Mark's Square and assumed that was all there is to see in Venice. I've been to Venice 3 times and still haven't covered everything on my to do list. IMHO there is much more to do in Venice than in Cinque Terre. I'm glad I visited Cinque Terre but I would return to Venice time and time again.

It might be worth going to a bookstore and looking at some of the guidebooks to see which place you might enjoy more.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

As jose has said: I often tell friends they should see Venice once in their lifetime! I visited the CT about 15 years ago. Very lovely! Even then I found it crowded. Rick what's his name was already telling everyone about it and I kept running into people from the NW. I will say, however, they are two completley different experiences. People that get bored in Venice really need to stick to Vegas and Disneyland. They will never get it!

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

Hi

We were lucky enough to visit both Venice and Cinque Terre last May and spend several days in both.

We enjoyed Cinque Terre so much as we did all the walks, but fortunately due to the normal track between village 4 and 3 being closed we took the alternate route high in the hills and it was like we were the only ones there! the Town was crazy busy but once we walked up the hills away from the chaos we passed very few people.

But if you don't like or aren't fit enough (and that walk was pretty tough) long walks, then Venice is the clear winner.

I also just loved our 3 days in Venice. Nothing to do? you need to listen to some new friends advice - there is so much to do. in fact we were busy the whole time and still i missed some of the things i wanted to do. Venice is also best appreciated by just having a wander about and getting lost in the maze of back streets away from the main canal. Simply stunning. It was so much fun to watch all the new arrivals to Venice - easy to pick as your eyes are wide like saucers and your mouth is open in amazement.

Either choice is a winner.

regards

Suz

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
967 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

I am planning to visit both with my extended family (9 of us) in may 2013. CT is on my bucket list and I was a little hesitant about Venice but persuing TA has re-assured me it is a good choice. My biggest decision was deciding where to go first upon arriving in Milan and I have pretty much decided on Venice for 2 nights and then CT for 3 nights. Seems like Venice will suit my "ready to party" 20 year olds best and I figure they can get it out of their systema and then enjoy the toned down atmosphere of CT Is my thinking on the right track?

9. Re: Cinque Terre or Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:17