We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip with a baby

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
day trip with a baby

Hello, my hubby and I can only manage one day in Cinque Terre, driving up from Lucca, and will have our 20 pound baby with us. What's the best way to use this limited opportunity? We enjoy hiking and will have the baby in a carrier, but i must admit we are not as fit as we were before kids, and it can get pretty sweaty in that carrier.

Is there a short stretch of trail that you would recommend? Is it breezy and cool on the trails? Or would we be better to choose one of the towns and just go for a stroll?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip with a baby

Via Dell'Amore is a short 20-30 minute path that is flat and wide - you could even bring the stroller, feasibly. It is not breezy and cool anywhere this time of year - the trails are not easy for the most part, save for Via Dell'Amore, and the weather is quite hot and sunny. You can easily do this path, though, that connects Manarola and Riomaggiore, and take the boat around.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
239 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip with a baby

One day is too short. Boat trip is a very sensible option.

If you really like hiking, the Vernazza/Monterosso trail is doable without much effort (only if you start in Vernazza). It is better if you start at 5 or 6pm. You will do it in less than 2 hours.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip with a baby

Thanks for the advice. Here's what we did (yesterday): could only do one day as grandparents were babysitting our older child. Drove up from lucca after baby's nap so arrived in riomaggiore in the hottest part of the day. Had planned to Wald the via del'a more with the stroller, have lunch in manarola and ask if we could leave the stroller at the restaurant while we hiked the next stretch with baby in the carrier. Well, it was much too hot to carry baby and besides, that part of the trail is closed at the moment. New plan: have lunch while baby naps, then take the boat to monterosso. But baby did not fall asleep until after lunch (after i nursed him sitting on the ground in an alley - the only shady spot we could find. Surprised passing people did not toss spare change at me). New plan: take train to monterosso and boat back. But baby did not wake up in time for the next train, and any later would mean we might not get back to riomaggiore before the car park closed.

New plan: drive to monterosso, have a quick dinner then back to lucca. It's not that far. Ha! What a drive. An hour of twisty turn narrow roads clinging to the side of the mountain. Scary but breathtakingly beautiful. I wouldn't recommend but am so glad we did it. Monterosso is charming, more like south of France than the first two towns. Beach clubs were closed by then but w had a quick evening swim, a nice walk and a drink at the beach bar with terrible food but a great view. At night the little lane ways in the town are magical. Would love to go back when our kids are older.

4. Re: day trip with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16