We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
Save Topic
Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

I will be in Cinque Terre mid-October, and will be one my own.. Plan is to take various hikes between towns over a long weekend. Will I be safe hiking by myself between each town? Any area I should avoid? Best times over others to traverse certain trails? Any and all advise is MUCH appreciated. I am staying in Riomaggiore if that help.

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,939 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

There are no areas to avoid in the Cinque Terre: they are 5 tiny villages where crime is unusual.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

Crime is not a worry. The main danger visitors to the CT face is falling. The trails can be steep and rocky in places, and many of the visitors are less than experienced hikers. Wear decent shoes with solid, gripping soles and you'll be a happy hiker.

Sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

We travelled there Oct 2008 so long ago now, but before the floods & landslides of Oct 2011. Take advice on the trails to use expecially between Vernazza and Monterosso as this was the steepest trail with near vertical steps and trails on the edge of the cliff with no guard rails. We did this trip from Vernazza where we stayed, to Monterosso and thought it was easier going. We did Vernazza back to Riomagiorre the next day and lots of the trail was downhill. We start early to avoid the heat of the day and traveller traffic, but from memory the trails opened at 8am something to check. We were a little earlier. Great time of year weather wise or it was for us, the flood was 25/10/2011. Enjoy the spectacular scenery it was the favourite part of our trip.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

Agreed - the thing you should be most cautious about is falling while hiking! There is little crime in the Cinque Terre and I think general common sense will keep you safe. I truly would not be worried about being attacked or targeted for crime. Be careful and enjoy your trip! Ciao!

Sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

Oops there was a rockslide in the Cinque Terra yesterday in which 4 Aussies were injured....hope I didn't jinx them.....be careful. We caught the ferry from Riomaggiore back to Vernazza but you could do the reverse and the train back from Monterosso. The views are different naturally of the towns at water level. Enjoy

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

I travelled as a single female in her early 20's last Semptember. I would caution you about being out at night on the Via dell'Amore. I was told by the woman running my B&B that it was very safe, well lit, and had plenty of people out and about late evening so I ordered a gelato and headed there for a stroll. Boy was she wrong! It was pitch black, the lighting on the path was extremely dim. There was no one out, and someone (who I thought originally was just walking the same way I was) was following me and caught up to flirt with me. I wasn't interested but he wouldn't leave me alone. I ended up having to push him away from me at one point and hope he didn't follow me back to my B&B. It wasn't a horrible experience (not violent) but it wasn't pleasant either. So, keep your wits about you and stay away from the Via in the late evening/night if that isn't something you are interested in experiencing.

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

Thank you May. I am here now in Riomaggiore. The paths through Cinque Terre are all closed due to last week's rock slide. I started to hike a path up to the vineyards in Riomaggiore this morning, but the path started to get a bit slippery from the rain a couple of days ago. Wasn't too bad going up, but about halfway up, it started to get slippery. I made a good decision to turn around and go back down. The trip down wasn't so easy. Being by myself. getting hurt and being where no one knew where I was was my biggest concern.

In general, just walking around, I feel quite safe. I am cautious and know where I am at all times.

Kettering, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

I was going to head there on Friday and Saturday. In in Sassuolo now. Is it worth the drive over if the trails are closed? No other way to get around correct?

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

You can get around Cinque Terre by train or boat.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Woman-Safety in General and Solo Hiking

Again, only the coastal trail is closed. There are over 30 open trails lacing the region, including that from Monterosso to Levanto, that are open and free. All of these, as has been stated previously, are weather dependent.